Rollin bones Movin on

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the way this is shaping up.
I'm off work Monday and Tuesday this week so all paint work should be done. Rims are at the lbs getting trued up and then assembly will commence. Assuming everything goes back together ok i should have a roller later this week.. All parts are in house somewhere. Got one more little thing up my sleeve that should really make it pop. Stay tuned for more.

I got a little work done this week before i head to Chicago for the weekend. I pulled the pedals apart and detailed everything.I started to reassemble the front springer after some paint work. Got the braided brass hose cover slipped over the truss rods and pulled up tight. the rest of the forks will have to wait till i get back home. I ran out of dead flat clear so i'm waiting on amazon again to finish final paint. More details to come.
20210729_201722.jpg
20210729_204619.jpg

I got a little work done this week before i head to Chicago for the weekend. I pulled the pedals apart and detailed everything.I started to reassemble the front springer after some paint work. Got the braided brass hose cover slipped over the truss rods and pulled up tight. the rest of the forks will have to wait till i get back home. I ran out of dead flat clear so i'm waiting on amazon again to finish final paint. More details to come.View attachment 166439View attachment 166440
Amazing ideas. I really like the idea of covering up the truss rods. How did you finish up/fixed the ends of the hoses?

Amazing ideas. I really like the idea of covering up the truss rods. How did you finish up/fixed the ends of the hoses?
The plan was to use some shrink wrap but the truss rod ends were to big to slip the wrap over. I cut the brass wrap a little shorter and wrapped ends with electrical tape. Masked the sleeve off and sprayed with flat orange and clear. The sleeve fits tight so this should work good. These wraps come in stainless, brass and multiple colors and sizes.

Paint work is finished except for the stubby front fender i cut up last night. I've got to strip the heavy paint off it and get it finished by Monday morning. Thats when it makes it's hour ride to the pinstripper. Wheels are still at lbs getting trued up. Should be ready Monday. I hope to have everything put together by the middle of next week. Getting closer to the finish line.
20210806_195359.jpg
20210806_191652.jpg
20210806_191640.jpg

Wow! This is coming together beautifully man!!!! Exellent paint and killer details left and right! Those pedals a works of art!
Love the truss sleeves, you finished off the ends great. I used skinny inner tube sections to dress the ends for the braided stainless on my SaltHammer bars.
What an awesome build!!!!

Wow! This is coming together beautifully man!!!! Exellent paint and killer details left and right! Those pedals a works of art!
Love the truss sleeves, you finished off the ends great. I used skinny inner tube sections to dress the ends for the braided stainless on my SaltHammer bars.
What an awesome build!!!!
Thanks Kingfish. I saw that braid used on a motorcycle at a car show a while back and wanted to use it somewhere on my build. I went back and checked out Salthammer build. That looks great on those bars.

Thanks Kingfish. I saw that braid used on a motorcycle at a car show a while back and wanted to use it somewhere on my build. I went back and checked out Salthammer build. That looks great on those bars.

I can't remember how it popped in my head. I think I just saw some braided hose on something like you did and a lightbulb went off. I had forgotten, but I originally tried this on VerBoten's bars, but didn't use it. I love how you found some brass braid. It works so well with your colors. It really adds a cool texture detail as well.

Really well thought out paint scheme coming together on a beautiful bicycle. Great work. I too love your pedals. Wow what a great idea using dice. Can't wait to see finished bike.
Thanks man. I started this build with the idea of a bare steel frame with a little color thrown in. Six rattle cans later here i am. One little idea leads to another. I have one more piece of bling to add then i will ride the wheels off it.

Last piece painted. I,m off to the pinstipper to highlight and accent my amateur paintwork. I,m not real sure i will use the fender bomb yet ,its a little heavy. I have a shur spin that's been on a shelf for a couple years that might make it,s way on this build. I will have to get every thing reassembled to try it out.
20210809_084601.jpg
20210809_104239.jpg

That bomb is literally DA BOMB!!!
But those Shurspins always look cool on handlebars.
I could even see using them both at the same time working well, but like you said get the bike back together and see what works with the whole build. Either or both are killer options to have.

I got a little more work done today. It looks like i'll be changing the handle bars up after a little tumble to the floor. Not me but the drop bars i was going to use. I could strip them and repaint, but i had a set of cross brace bars laying around i've wanted to fit on something. After a little paint, some braided brass hose sleeve, and some Thompson grips i think i found something i like. I will decide after assembly. Credit goes to Kingfish for the braid idea. He mentioned he used covers on his salthammer build.
20210814_160604.jpg
20210814_160527.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back