Rollin bones Movin on

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool POP! (PILE O' PARTS).

I dig your rattle can line-up. There is a moment of zen when the color scheme melds together in harmony with the bike. I'm still waiting for that moment on this year's build....
Got it all layed out in my head. Now to put it all together. I'm still thinking about leaving some bare metal in there somewhere.

Since the weather doesn't want me to paint outside today i thought i would knock out a couple parts in my little workshop/basement. I grabbed my paints and did a little detail work. First up was the handlebar stem. I added some color to the raised and inset areas. Second up was the chainring. After to much masking i sprayed on two different colors. Keeping with the rat rod vibe i worked it over with a couple different grit sanding sponges. Weather is showing me rain for the next seven days so i guess i'll find more pieces that needs a little detail
20210606_112635.jpg
20210606_112652.jpg
20210606_112705.jpg
20210606_115121.jpg
20210606_114749.jpg
work.

Loving this build! I never tried a long-nose Shelby springer on a curved-tube Elgin frame, but it looks just like something I would do. And the orange with bare metal just seals the deal. Keep the beer flowing!
I found this already in bare metal. I was going to paint it and use it on another build, but there was to much exposed brass work to cover up. Just do a little highlighting and call it done
20210606_134234.jpg

Great paint and patina work!

Getting ready to start on the tank. My masking skills will be tested on the scheme I want to attempt.

Find a car paint and materials shop and get some fine line vinyl tape. I used some 1/4 and 1/8 last year on SteamRoller and it works great. Gives you much better and tighter tape lines than regular masking tape.

1623092555527.png

T
Find a car paint and materials shop and get some fine line vinyl tape. I used some 1/4 and 1/8 last year on SteamRoller and it works great. Gives you much better and tighter tape lines than regular masking tape.

View attachment 160459
Thanks Kingfish I'll have to track some of this down. I grabbed a roll of regular auto pinstripping at the car parts store and it didn't work out to well.

T
Thanks Kingfish I'll have to track some of this down. I grabbed a roll of regular auto pinstripping at the car parts store and it didn't work out to well.
This stuff works perfect! You can also find it in arts supply stores, most probably in the airbrush corner...

Thanks Springer looks great on that frame. I tried 3 different Springer's on my 41 Elgin... but, I'm going more with just a traditional look on my build.

I'm digging this one. Rat on Elgin class of 41
I was going to try a monarch Springer I picked up a while back. When I got it out I couldn't find the bottom end hardware. Maybe next build.

Your concept based on that reallybigtim image is one I have been contemplating since I got my '53 Shelby stripped. With our matching springer forks, we may have two 'brothers from another mother'.....

Got a little something done today. I put down some paint on the tank and will let it dry overnight. Tomorrow after work i will start laying out my tank graphics. The color is a little washed out from the lights in my workshop but didnt want to take it out in the rain. Amazon dropped me off some stripping tape today. I pulled the horn out and stuck in some batteries. It didn't work. I layed the tank on my work cart after it dried a couple hours. On my cart were a couple custom sets of bar end plugs i had. Looking at the big picture i thought why buy another horn i won't use, when one of these plugs would fill the hole just right. I don't know what i will do with the other holes yet. Might just use a couple brass screws and bolts.
20210610_142330.jpg
20210610_142929.jpg
20210610_143153.jpg
20210610_145030.jpg

Attachments

• 20210610_142929.jpg
    20210610_142929.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 94

Latest posts

Back