Rollin bones Movin on

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got an '02 sportster with a Buell Lightning motor (101 HP) that is stripped to the bare essentials (400 lbs). Built it many years ago. I'm scared to ride it anymore.
I raced an XB9 a few times and really wished it had a 1250 kit

Marshall, your style of humor hits my funny bone every time! :bigsmile:

I archive any photos I find on here of over stuffed garages and bike sheds, so when my wife asks "How many bikes do you have now in your shed?" I just send her a message and say , "Not as many as this guy." :21:
I just hope when I'm gone my wife sells my bikes for what they're worth instead of what I told her I paid for them.

I hope I get to sell them before she has too. My fleet isn't getting sold to just anyone, my bikes deserve to be passed on to a caretaker. (Insert top hat and monocle emoji here)

Slow progress right now. Too much work and rain. I plan to get the frame primered up Monday. I need a little advice. How do you remove the head badge with out damaging it. I may reuse it or go with a custom one. Any tips appreciated.

I’ve used a hooked awl in the past, insert it into the headtube and push the rivet out
A937DC9A-D992-4F12-A5D5-9BD061EE8126.jpeg

Got a little something done today. I painted up a different chain guard than i started with. The original plan was to use the girls with the fender skirts. Unless i find a different fender i'll have to scrap that idea because the fat franks are to big. The mounting brackets for the skirts hit the tire on both sides. I could go with smaller tires but i just love my franks. If all else fails i have another idea for the back end. Color is washed out. I will do better pics tomorrow
20210702_185343.jpg
20210702_184843.jpg

Talking to a buddy of mine yesterday he asked how my build was coming aolng. I showed him some updated photos where i'm at. His comment was, you should have called it Orange Crush. I originally thought about this but i think i remember someone else doing this before. I had ordered some waterslide decals that i think i will use somewhere on my build.
20210703_122626.jpg

I finished getting the frame primed for paint last night. My wife thinks i should do the frame in creme and i was leaning toward the orange. Well while i was watching the paint dry and enjoying a cold beverage, the color started to grow on me. It is lighter than the cap on the can. It turned out to be a green grey shade. More green in the sun more grey in the shade. I really don't want to change directions in the middle of a build but i really like this color. I hate when i think to much. Back to work tomorrow so i have a couple days to toss it around.
20210704_131953.jpg
20210705_135157.jpg
20210705_140127.jpg

Always wanted to do a bike in ‘etching primer green’.
I think it looks cool,if you have any clear laying around it might be interesting to see how it looks as the ‘color coat’
Never been a big fan of green but this color just stood out to me. I will try out a couple different clear coats on a sample piece later this week.

Marshall, this deserves to be back on Page 1 ! Any good painting weather in your part of the world??

Marshall, this deserves to be back on Page 1 ! Any good painting weather in your part of the world??
Rain the last several days off and on. Weather says Wednesday will be clear then 4 more days of rain. I"m off the next couple days so i will get the small pieces done in my basement. As much as i like the green paint i"m going to stay with the orange to match my accessories. pics coming soon.

Another rainy day in southern Indiana. I guess i'll get some more small parts painted in the basement shop. I picked up a can of Rust-oleum dead flat clear to keep that rat vibe alive. Has anyone used this and how did it turn out. A iitttle color sanding and i will be ready to give it a shot.
20210713_105821.jpg

Used that Dead Flat clear on my RaTsberry BuffeT Sears Spyder muscle build. It gives it a very 'old paint' look, something like an implement , tractor, old tool finish might have.

74324004_2383468731970066_4136431488939851776_n.jpg

Not completely without a 'glint' or shine, but not glossy at all.

Used that Dead Flat clear on my RaTsberry BuffeT Sears Spyder muscle build. It gives it a very 'old paint' look, something like an implement , tractor, old tool finish might have.

View attachment 164565

Not completely without a 'glint' or shine, but not glossy at all.
That' s the look i was hoping to get. I will get a little sprayed today.

Latest posts

Back