Ross crank sprocket freewheel Q.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I've never seen one of these before.

Ross girls 26" 10sp. The crank sprocket ratchets/freewheels and the rear is fixed and the chain keeps turning even while coasting alowing gear changes.

Is this a Ross exclusive? I'm kinda curious.

My web search turned up nothing.

Hey Thanks Park,That helps alot!

I can tell by your handle you're a Powerglide man...and an American Graffiti fan!

Hehehehehehe. I always wonder if people get the AG reference. Sometimes I think about rotating signatures between different AG quotes... there's a million good ones...

--rick

You mean John Milner? hey,nobody can beat him,man he's got the fastest...

I aint nobody dork.

A Classic.

MagicRat said:
I've never seen one of these before.

Ross girls 26" 10sp. The crank sprocket ratchets/freewheels and the rear is fixed and the chain keeps turning even while coasting alowing gear changes.

Is this a Ross exclusive? I'm kinda curious.

My web search turned up nothing.

It was made by Shimano (originally) and called the FFS. IIRC Schwinn used it on a couple of bikes for 2-3 years. When it works it is okay, but not super collectible. Just an oddity. It was supposed to allow you to shift gears while coasting. (something you can do with an internal geared hub anyway)

Aaron 8)

"Well, you call that a paint job, but it's pretty ugly. I bet you got to sneak up on the pumps just to get a little air in your tires!" -- John Milner

"Your car is uglier than I am....... Oops, that didn't come out right." -- Carol

Those cranksets come around every so often. I need one right now for an idea I got from a picture I saw on a european site.

It incorporates a go kart rear axle assembly to make a trike. I sketched it all out and realized it wouldn't work without a freewheeling crankset...

...and as luck would have it, my buddy just found an old Schwinn with this set up on it.

62Higgins said:
Those cranksets come around every so often. I need one right now for an idea I got from a picture I saw on a european site.

It incorporates a go kart rear axle assembly to make a trike. I sketched it all out and realized it wouldn't work without a freewheeling crankset...

...and as luck would have it, my buddy just found an old Schwinn with this set up on it.
I want to see pictures of that!

Aaron 8)

Latest posts

Back