Royce Union Serial Number help?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,
Thanks for taking the time to look!

This is how the bike looked when I purchased it:
4221932960_f99e333597.jpg

(Short and Sweet: I want to know the model name and age of my Royce Union bike at the Flickr link below.)

The Serial Number is below.

(I have swapped out the original handle bars for the drop bars you see in most pics- but, of course, I keep everything!

(Long Version)
This past summer I purchased a Royce Union 3 speed road bike at a local thrift shop. It's in great shape! It could use a cleaning and tune up, but looks good and rides well. I am new to the hobby of bicycles (& bicycling) and wonder if anyone might be able to help me put an age on this bike!
I have spent a fair amount of time looking for info on my own, but am not sure which resources are best and have had little luck in finding an answer. From what I have found it seems that this bike is from the mid 1960s. I am hoping the serial # will yield a more specific date.
Here is a link to my Flickr page with a number of photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34767893@N ... 466850918/

**NOTES**:
I also have taken note of everything I could find written anywhere on the bike (There are photos of all these at the link):

-Serial #: IR96361 (stamped on the seat pillar)

-Handle Grips: each read "3.3.3. Three Speed Hub"

-Brakes: F/R each read "Crossbow 260W"

-Nose of the bike: (above badge)it reads "Safety Tested(?)"
(below badge)it reads "Precision Engineered(?)"
(the badge itself) reads "Union Cycle Company LTD., Royce Union, Made in Japan"

-Axels: (Fr.) reads "S.I.W, made in Japan"
(Rr.) reads "3.3.3., Three Speed Hub F, U.S.A. Pat. 3021728
(I did find that this Pat# was filed 7-21-59 and granted 2-20-62 by Keizo Shimano: http://www.google.com/patents?id=vWteAA ... q=&f=false )

-Rims: each read "Araya 26x1 3/8 w/o"

-Tires: "26x1 3/8, The Special IRC Tyre, Made in Japan, (includes a host of Japanese characters to follow)"

-Reflector: (The only one on the bike- Red, circular, approx 2" diam.) reads (on lens) "SAE-B68 stratolite 52" Does that "68" nail it down to the year 1968??

If you've gotten this far, thanks again for looking and I appreciate any info you may give.
-elliott

I have a 59ish version.
collection3008.jpg
I know that RU was basically an importer who got bikes from various countries and sole them all under the RU badge. So trying to accurately date one will be extremely difficult! Youy may be on to something with the reflector, provided it's original. If only they used Sturmey Archer hubs, they're year dated. -Adam

IMG_20210907_170512.jpg
IMG_20210907_170512.jpg
la verdad es que no se que módelo sea. Y que le aga falta te go todo en. Cuestión de cambios y frenos solo acieento y salpicaderas no se año es. Que modelo. Y que. Rodado es alguien. Me. Podría ayudar. A darme. Su punto de. Vista o. Algun dato que. Sirva

Latest posts

Back