RRBBO#6 is over... now what?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It took up so many of my shop nights, now what do I do?

Tonight Cody and I got together for the first time since the build-off was still going. Without the 76er to work on things were aimless for a while. I started out by discovering a sidewalk in my backyard buried under 2"-6" of dirt, we uncovered about 20 feet of it till we hit ground bees and I got a bad sting on my tricept. At this point it was about midnight and we went to the store for some Pepsi (Max for me, regular for him), kinda shady place, we didn't linger long. We then cruised the alleys looking for bikes, came up wanting. Back to the shop and I pulled down the tandem with the double stuck seatposts. A pipe wrench (yeah, I know what Sheldon said) removed the first one easily. The wrench twisted and ripped the next one, even with heat (both had been soaking in penetrating oil for about 4 months), finally I took the cutting wheel and cut from straight down the seat tube to the bottom of the post and it came right out, then Cody layed a pretty bead on it to close it back up.

So I guess now that the build-off is over I'll fix my tandem, which will lead to me putting my motor that I took off of my 1950 Columbia onto my Schwinn, but before labor day I MUST find another rear OCC chopper wheel to make my sand bike, and we plan on building a bike car... surrey.

So, what are you doing now that the build-off is over?

scrumblero said:
working!! :roll:

Hopefully none of us quit doing that! haha 99.5% of my work was done in the evenings between 10pm and 3am, now those were some long nights and I don't intend to keep that up, but I am kind of use to going out and spending an hour or two out in the shop at night, so I'm gonna do something to fill that time.

Yeah, I realized I had a bunch of work waiting for me. Of course I have like 15 more bike projects that are in varied stages of production to finish. Thanks you for asking. I can't get next years build off my mind and I don't know how I will be able to wait that long.

If you live in Texas, you've pretty much been forced to stay indoors for the past 34 days. Today's high is supposed to be 111 and it was already at 89 at 7:45 this morning. :oops:

Also, don't forget about the possibility of an unofficial build off in the fall and our annual photo contest.

I'm still in the process of deciding on a theme for the unofficial build off. :wink:

I'm gonna lay low, ride out the summer enjoying family/friends and continue to SLOWLY gather parts for a custom bike I'm working on.
Definitiely taking a step back from bikes. Gonna constantly cruise RRB though, you never know what will happen next!

On another note,I'm seriously considering RRB06 to be my 'one and done' event. It's purely for this reason....I build bikes as a means of relaxation and artistic expression.

While the 'competition' aspect of a build off was never a factor for me (the goal was to build a bike my daughter would love...check!) the looming deadline was.

I and I alone put so much pressure on myself the last 2 weeks before the deadline that I found myself up until 2:00 AM when I had to be at work by 7:00 AM. I became stressed out with something that is a 'relief valve' for my stress, kinda counter-productive...... :roll:

By no means am I trying to discourage any participants of future build offs, these events are awesome for displaying our talents and I will be the biggest chearleader of all entered.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Bought a "little" OCC Stingray for my grand daughter, a few years back. It's Purple and Pink. My grand son's 20" Ross is still just a little to big for him. He fits on the Stingray perfectly, and he looks COOL riding it....It's not Purple and Pink anymore. Now it's red primer and black with a gray (dye) seat..Started last night. Prepped and painted this morning. Maybe assemble tonight....Forgot. The LONG chain guard, propane torch, BLUED nicely!

Now that my vacation is almost over, I plan on getting back to my garage and doing some much needed clean up! I found that during the build off I neglected to keep a tidy shop :oops:
I have 2 VW jettas that need some love and attention, and a Mustang that I'm thinking about selling after I tinker with it. Not to mention the 10+ bikes i still have in storage!
I'm well steeped with work and projects for a long time to come! The build off was just the motivation to get me going! It was nice to know I can still complete a project!

I'm gonna work on a 20" 1950's Columbia, I scored off another member. I'm fixing it up rat style for my grandson (he's 6 now). Still a little too big for him to ride, but that gives me some time. I will also be thinking about the next build off & which direction I will be going for that one. The Columbia will be assembled between catching up on all the honey-do's that I have neglected over the last 3 months & getting my yard back in shape. (Gotta keep the wife happy! So far so good) :lol: 8)

Rat Rod said:
If you live in Texas, you've pretty much been forced to stay indoors for the past 34 days. Today's high is supposed to be 111 and it was already at 89 at 7:45 this morning. :oops:

Also, don't forget about the possibility of an unofficial build off in the fall and our annual photo contest.

I'm still in the process of deciding on a theme for the unofficial build off. :wink:

WooooHoooo. Something to look forward to!

For me, I'm just continuing working on bikes in my shop. No real change there.

The build-off bike didn't really occupy a huge amount of my time, which is probably obvious when you compare it to the well-done ones. I spent too much time actually riding it to make use of all the ideas I came up with for it. So I actually had time during the build-off to build two other custom bikes and do a bit of work on my niece's bikes.

Right now, I've got Columbia '61 Special stripped down for clean up and whatever. It has a bent seat tube that I want to try to fix before deciding which way I'll build it up. Next, I'm going to strip down and rebuild my '75 Varsity. And in between I've got minor maintainance to do on my mountain bike and my Schwinn Classic 7...

For me I will enjoy my bike and help my wife even more especially since she is preggo, she was a big support in my build. I have been very blessed this year. Other than that try to convince the wife to let me bring another bike into our little townhouse, haha! And looking forward to hed south to yoothgeye's house and ride our bikes. :mrgreen:

For me I will enjoy my bike and help my wife even more especially since she is preggo, she was a big support in my build. I have been very blessed this year. Other than that try to convince the wife to let me bring another bike into our little townhouse, haha! And looking forward to hed south to yoothgeye's house and ride our bikes. :mrgreen:

I am, gearing up for the bike season here in Arizona. It's kinda like February in the cold states. In another month or so it will be beautiful riding weather until next July so I will be busy getting stuff together for things like Tour De Fat in October and a few other events. I am also working on some parts I have been designing. I have a coupe different tanks made from solid aluminum for Duraliums and/or Silverkings both the original 30's style as well as the Hex Frame models. The design and fit are almost complete and we will be producing our first tank here in the next couple weeks. I can't wait to get one on my bike!

Ride.....Ride.......Ride.

Bike Vacation next week with the family. Trail of the Couer d Alene and Hiawatha Trail (1.6 mile long tunnel, more tunnels and trestles.

Then Bogus Bomb Run - 16 miles 3500 foot descent on coaster brakes

Next day Tour de Fat- I help the BBP so I will be a parade marshall and carny for breakdown.

erichitscar said:
I plan on getting back to my garage and doing some much needed clean up! I found that during the build off I neglected to keep a tidy shop :oops:

I heard that! My shop, upstairs and downstairs is destroyed and now that I don't have a deadline I'm trying to make the outside look nicer too, that's how I found the sidewalk last night (and the worst bee sting of my life, still throbbing13+ hours later).

Here's the sidewalk I found under 2"-8" of dirt yesterday on the side of the shop:
IMG_4507.jpg

Roots had grown so thickly across the cement that you just cut the edges and roll up the carpet of rich dirt, these are some I dumped behind the shop, the first batch I used to fill a pothole in the alley:
IMG_4506.jpg

This is where is started getting deep and I got into the ground bees. The edge that looks wet is from where I unloaded a whole can of wasp/bee spray, I'm coming back with gasoline then I'll finish:
IMG_4505.jpg

yoothgeye said:
erichitscar said:
I plan on getting back to my garage and doing some much needed clean up! I found that during the build off I neglected to keep a tidy shop :oops:

I heard that! My shop, upstairs and downstairs is destroyed and now that I don't have a deadline I'm trying to make the outside look nicer too, that's how I found the sidewalk last night (and the worst bee sting of my life, still throbbing13+ hours later).

WOW! you had no idea that was there? sorry about the sting, but hey, free sidewalk!

Latest posts

Back