RRBBO - Montgomery Ward's "Iron Ghost"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: hey man

Clothespin "n" said:
poorhotrodboy said:
this is a sweet bike as is. the seat the peadals and the chain ring, freaken awsome!

well said!

thanks guys... Yeah this bike is really interesting as is. My plan is to keep it simple, no frame chopping or anything like that. I would like to get a better set of fenders, and a longer handlebar. Im one of the guys without welding tools or a huge stock of bike parts... I would kill for a cheap springer fork.
I need to update though. I cleaned up the rusty skiptooth chain, and I got an old bullet light from ebay.

Hey

Hey Roboto, Want a springer? Goto bicycledesigner.com They got them there for like 30 bucks with out shipping still cheap, i getting one for my typhoon, CANT WAIT! Haha just thaught id tell ya 8)

Time for an update:

I've been working here and there trying to sand and primer the parts I will be painting. I've got a lot done, but nothing picture worthy.

I cleaned up the bullet horn/light I bought from ebay. I fixed the horn unit too, all I had to do was adjust a screw that lead into the bell piece. This is a before picture. I am going to put it between some truss rods coming from DD.
hornlight.jpg

Seeing everyone else get crafty with their builds inspired me to try something different. I've always wanted to make my own light, so here it goes...

I am going to make a tail light out of one of those round reflectors that people put in their lawns, usually at mailboxes and such. So I picked up a blue one from the side of the road (I know you can buy these, but you can usually just drive around and see plenty that have been abandoned), and a plastic wine glass from goodwill (55 cents).
tailight1.jpg

I found some scrap wood in the basement and cut out a ring that will be a bracket for the reflector so it can fit in the glass.
tailight2.jpg

I used a belt sander to smooth out all the edges of the wooden ring. Then I cut off the neck of the glass, and sanded it down smooth.
tailight3.jpg

here is a quick mockup of what I am doing with this... I will paint the original to match the bike, and mount it underneath the seat.
tailight4.jpg

I will post some more pictures when I get it done. I am going to put some LEDs behind the reflector to light it up.

Nice idea, can you post pics of how u mount it, i would like to try this looks sweet. We got some of them reflecters in our driveway.. I think you found a better use for the things :lol:

another breakthrough.

I've been really wanting a handlebar like the one I already have, but longer. After seeing many ebay handlebars go for 50 bucks or something equally as frustrating, I wanted to just modify my short handlebars. I've heard you can do this, but I definitely was inspired by Chainsaw and his RRBBO bike. So credit goes to Chainsaw for the clever idea. here is his work

So here it goes... Im going to add extensions to my stock handlebars. I want to add another 3 or so inches strait back.

Here is my starting point: the project bars (I forgot to push in the grip on the right for the picture) some old schwinn road bike bars, and a junk metal pole.
handle3.jpg

I cut the schwinn handlebar for the extensions, and I cut the pole to connect the handlebar pieces. The picture shows them after they were cut and sanded. I took the smaller pieces and used them like connecting straws. I used some good ol' JB Weld to seal them together.
handle1.jpg

here is the new handlebar, waiting for the JB Weld to cure. I'll post pictures of the finished product... I hope this all works.
handle2.jpg

man I love this place....

nice work ,and "hats off" for giving a fellow builder a thanks!

they look great,
will the grips just about cover the connecting point?
rendering it invisible?

I'm guessing( and this is what I would have done ) that the grip
on the right is pulled back for this exact reason...
..to measure and insure the weld covers.

peace,
Kev.

Gotta love jb weld or other epoxy's for us non welder types. MacGyver could fix anything with a lighter, bailing wire, and chewing gum. Need to add jb weld to that list.

Looking good on the bar extention

Just curious if that stuff is strong enough to hold it together for the long haul.

I've never used it so I don't know how strong it is.

that epoxy is great stuff , I use it alot in the auto repair biz. Like anything else we use its all in the prep ! lousy prep = lousy hold..you also have to use the correct epoxy for a given repair or in this case , modification .
might be a good thread for the "how to section"

Mr. Robots, may I call you Raised. Thanks for the credit and glad you gave it a try.
Your bars look awesome. The extensions definitely gives the bars some new attitude! 8) Should look killer on the bike!
If the grips are gonna cover the seam anyway, you could always countersink a couple of small scews as extra security.
When I was younger, I broke the mounts for my motorcycle's ignition coil and used JB on it. About once a month I would have to re-do it but that stuff works great. The only reason the JB gave out was because of the slamming around and abuse it got from a little fat kid playing Superstar Motocross Champion!
Thanks again and build on!
Chainsaw

Next week is my spring break and I have nothing to do, so I will finally get some stuff done with this bike.

I went back to check how the JB Weld worked out on my handlebar, and it is perfect! It worked really well, the extensions are very solid and the grips lineup right on the crack.
handle4.jpg

I don't have the knowledge or the tools to re thread the spokes on my rims. So I brought out the elbow grease and scrubed as much grime away that I could. You can't really tell from the picture, but I cleaned half of the rim to show the progression. They look 10 times better than when I started.
rim3.jpg

And yet this bike still surprises me. As I was rubbing off the paint from the spokes I found a light yellow metal, maybe brass, on the spoke caps or whatever. Again, you can't tell from the picture, but it looks really cool when the sun hits it.
rim4.jpg

The bike had some cheap bolt-on kickstand instead of the drop stand. But I don't like the look of drop stand sometimes, so I decided to polish up the old kickstand.
kick1.jpg

Latest posts

Back