RRBBO16

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of the prize pot, most of us understaned that there is a possibility of having to ship world wide as is the case for this year's class 2 winner. I knew that shipping would be more than shipping in the states but apparently Austrailia has lost its mind due to Covid. I was told at the post office that they stopped shipping altogether for a while but now you can ship again but the rates have changed. The prize that I'm sending is in a small box and weighs less than 2.5lbs and it calculated to be $98 at the least expensive rate! I'm trying to check with other shippers to get a better rate but I don't have much faith that I'll be able to find anything better.:(

Speaking of the prize pot, most of us understaned that there is a possibility of having to ship world wide as is the case for this year's class 2 winner. I knew that shipping would be more than shipping in the states but apparently Austrailia has lost its mind due to Covid. I was told at the post office that they stopped shipping altogether for a while but now you can ship again but the rates have changed. The prize that I'm sending is in a small box and weighs less than 2.5lbs and it calculated to be $98 at the least expensive rate! I'm trying to check with other shippers to get a better rate but I don't have much faith that I'll be able to find anything better.:(

Does anyone from Australia have a known best method for shipping from the US to Australia?
One thing that we have done in the past with shipping internationally is pool together small donations from other members to spread the load. For instance, assuming you would cover a normal $10 of the shipping, then we would only need 9 people to chip in $10 each. Count me in as one of them.

Here in the Philippines, it would be that much also, then they would hold it until I paid the "mystery fee" of another hundred bucks. I sent a family member a new textbook straight from the big retailer making sure it was all paid for, then she had to fork over the value of the book, a hundred and fifty bucks! That's why I use the FPO system for prescriptions, but am restricted to 1 lb or less on everything else.

Another option is to wait until things settle down a bit in Australia. 1st Place trophies have even been known to be delivered on the very day of the beginning of the next build off :giggle: :grin:;);)

I checked with an Aussie bike buddy and he said that all freight and packages to and within Australia are crazy right now.

I'll pitch in, but as @kingfish254 pointed out it may be best to wait a bit. My company has 6 depot's in Australia and they are even having a hard time doing transit between themselves. Even worse doing import or export

Thanks everyone! I think we can make this work!

As far as waiting goes; sadley these days all bets are off on anything returning to normal. Waiting might even move the needle in the wrong direction!

I'm holding out for a quote from bikeflights but like I said I'm not holding my breath. Unless anyone has a better idea, I'll probably send it out next week with whichever rate is the lowest. When the time comes I'll post the reciept for everyone to see and we'll take it from there. I expected to pay a higher price than normal so what ever it takes I'll make it good. I do appreciate everyone that helps though!!!

I do not know this subject. Thought came to mind that recipient may have to pay a fee. Ran the numbers through an online calculator and found that a gift valued at less than $100.00 USD is subject to VAT Tax of 10% on the total value of gift, shipping cost, and insurance. So, check into this too. I will also donate to this fund.

Well, ShipBikes is not an option. o_O
Graphic2.jpg

***Shipping update for the Class 2 winner prize.***

Shipping to Australia is still not available through USPS at this time!:43:

I took the box to the main office today along with the paper work for customs and was turned away. I asked why I was given a quote at the branch office last week and he didn't know why or how. According to him, Australia has stopped shipping for weeks now. He did say that it might be possible through Global Express but that it is very expensive. I didn't even bother to ask how much.:(

I'm not giving up just yet though. As was suggested already, I'll wait for shipping services to resume and hope that it will be reasonable. Thank you to everyone that is on board with trying to get this done! I'll keep eveyone posted and if anyone else has any other ideas, please throw it in!

Back