Rust Never Sleeps

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I assumed that by 'bigger than it needs to be' you might mean 'it could be smaller, but bigger is also ok', and I just wondered what were your thoughts on it, after the current assembly rather than at the end of the build.

I know we have months to go, and only last night I changed the fork design again on mine just after I finished building what I thought at the time was going to be the front wheel. Anyway, good luck with the build.

No need to apologize. My builds are all over the place before they get finalized. It's just a little premature to expect finished product at this point. But if you've never seen a build of mine before how would you know?

GC.

I hated the picture with those little bars on there so bad that I had to get a better pic today (Sun! Beautiful sunshine!) Nothing is lined up there's no parallel lines, I didn't even flip the pedals, but it looks a lot better.
IMG_20211203_121344~2.jpg

Rootbeer sounded good but now I'm thinking cranberry fade to black, maybe black metalflake. I'd love to be able to hit it hard like "speedboat" glitter but I'm limited to rattle cans. There is an auto paint store in town so I can get custom colors. But flake? I don't know...

GC.

Last edited:
Handlebars and wrap recycled from my first Buildoff Bike here, that just happened to be a MBBO. Gave these bars to a friend a few years ago and he gave them back Saturday. The wrap I had stashed, Benotto wrap is the best.
IMG_20211206_113327.jpg
IMG_20211206_113342.jpg

GC.

Handlebars and wrap recycled from my first Buildoff Bike here, that just happened to be a MBBO. Gave these bars to a friend a few years ago and he gave them back Saturday. The wrap I had stashed, Benotto wrap is the best.View attachment 180341View attachment 180343

GC.
Loved those bars. Glad to see you have them back.

Might need to lower the seat for better riding, but that looks great!!

I really like the bare metal finish. Your patience and persistence are really paying off now. I am looking forward to seeing the finished product.
I do too but I've done bare metal so many times and muscle bikes typically have exotic paint so....

GC.

IMG_20220105_103912.jpg

Only if I can make it bolt on with no damage to frame and I believe I can...
Mostly because I want to cruise this bike some and I've ridden 20" wheels on a cruise with everyone else on full size bikes and it's no fun cranking the whole time just to keep up.

GC.

Last edited:
Only if I can make it bolt on with no damage to frame and I believe I can...
Mostly because I want to cruise this bike some and I've ridden 20" wheels on a cruise with everyone else on full size bikes and it's no fun cranking the whole time just to keep up.

GC.
Interesting, when I ride a 20'' the big wheels struggle to keep up with me... THE fun part.

Stick around.

Interesting, when I ride a 20'' the big wheels struggle to keep up with me... THE fun part.

Stick around.
I think I will.
The squeaky wheel got greased.
Now to decide if I want to go thru the fabricating on the additional rear clip...
I'm thinking a couple pieces to be able to bolt to the existing dropouts and a two piece clamp style bolt on cradle for the top bit by the seatpost. I really don't want to do any unneeded welding to this fairly rare frame. But it also has to look right, and by right I mean it needs to line up visually.

There have been rides with the CHICAGO TAILDRAGGERS where it's late night and started to rain. We may be only a few miles from where we all parked but this isn't some park district ride. We're in the city, bridges, underpasses, viaducts and car doors being opened in front of you or trying to speed past you, so there's a lot going on and we're moving. I'm not crying but I'm also 60+ yrs old and I wasn't on a multispeed muscle bike, I was on a stretched BMX with a two speed. Two speeds are enough on a bigger wheel, I have a few, but with the 20" it wasn't enough. Bonus here is with the right kind of fabbing I can always put a 20" back on.

Carl.

The squeaky wheel got greased.
Perhaps... how was your blood pressure... was it worth it? :p

Now to decide if I want to go thru the fabricating on the additional rear clip...
I'm thinking a couple pieces to be able to bolt to the existing dropouts and a two piece clamp style bolt on cradle for the top bit by the seatpost. I really don't want to do any unneeded welding to this fairly rare frame. But it also has to look right, and by right I mean it needs to line up visually.
Clamps, sounds like a solid plan.

Last edited:
Lil wheels run just fine on decent pavement. Carl just needs the right setup and gears.

Riders heart rates elevate more when I'm on. Completed 20 miles in an hour. If anyone on RRB wants a go against The Smoke in real life for lunch, PM me. I take the Chuck Norris.
AM-JKLXk4HbbUPFyaX4aBtSmj9IFxlKy5yih4ugs84K-v4eQ64_lTSSrDbnE85_Rw9J1_NpPJzxwKiunCacAroUPT-Ia3bw8YanktEVG7IGmAm_SJaIAlcXGNrYfjkskj89XuKw3ff2CF0A6nxy4GHchWEIX=w1226-h919-no

Last edited:
Kidding aside, I'm with you taking on a swing in such rough condition. Always wanted to make a race version while retaining the kids' bike look. I know it's going to turn out amazing like all your other rides.

Have fun with it brother.

I'm a little bit late to the party but if you're still looking for seatpost making parts or ideas I have this one in my pile of builds that I'll get to someday.

I don't know if you did or didn't where you spliced the tube to the stub but a couple of plug welds will add a bunch of security.

Hey, hey, my, my........

20220113_065537.jpg

Latest posts

Back