Rust Never Sleeps

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just another mock up but that's where I feel I'm at my best in design. Got it close. I think it will handle best and the wheel flows with the frame better if I keep it inline with the rear "fork"
IMG_20220209_092434.jpg
IMG_20220209_092419.jpg

It also sits right with the 20" on front and the 24" on back. The 7" crank works better too. It looks like I'm on my way to building an "adult" swing bike...

GC.

The stance looks right! I also like that the chainring almost makes it to the back wheel.
I agree, the original set was 16" front 20" rear, so a 20" front to 24" rear gets the difference the same 🤔 and fabbing the extension to get the axle to line up with the back fork should keep the geometry the same. I don't think I want it to look like a stretch. It raises the bike enough that I'll probably have to shorten the seat post and that may actually help with the banana. It won't stay cuz I hate them, but the banana probably will satisfy voters. Something I never do but... There's a few sweet builds going on and I'd love to get in the top 5. The chainring positioning is stock. I think the trick is getting that rear tire in the approximate same place a 20" would sit to get this to all come together and look "right"...

GC.

Last edited:
I woke up knowing what to do today I just had to DO IT. By the time I could get to it phone was dead on the charger, so there's no pics of me cutting out my pieces, or action weld and grind shots. But see my little extension plates? Threaded rod welded in and a round rod to fit in a little triangle hole in the rear forks...
IMG_20220211_193742.jpg
IMG_20220211_193709.jpg
IMG_20220211_193738.jpg
IMG_20220211_194931.jpg

You can see in the mounted picture that I've nipped a bit off the dropout. Had to make room for the axles to slide in and allow the tire to clear the frame near the kickstand.
IMG_20220211_195626.jpg
IMG_20220211_195853.jpg
IMG_20220211_195903.jpg

So this is tall but I'm long legged. I could take up to 4" out just by adjustment of the sissy bar and the seatpost will cut down easy...
IMG_20220211_195914.jpg
GC.

So a nice shifter would be sweet. I've got red/silver chain coming. Paint... hmm might wait til spring to paint. I've got a lot more to do. I need to fix the play in the frame pin that lets it swing. In the fixed position it wiggles a bit, feels like wheel bearings going out, but no it's the pin slop. So I have to fit a bushing. I also have a bit more stripping of paint to do in a few tight spots. Fit a longer kickstand, tweak the headset, I think the lower cup is junk, and... Fit the post to the seat, swap the pedals out and maybe then a tasteful dash of doodads.
IMG_20220211_200116.jpg

GC.

Suicide shifter you say? Hmm, I just keep looking at the tall sissy thinking I can't escape if I'm losing it. But I'm appreciating the coaster brake. My shifter stash is so thin I have the correct thumb shifter for the hub but they're just not the same as a stick shift . So I'm stuck on that one point... just gotta keep on working on the rest of it and know something will materialize...

Carl

My first build here was HeadBanger. Later it was modified into Da Bears.

Hedbngrwbrkz.JPEG

DaBears.JPG

Now Da Bears bike has no relevance except that it's Super Bowl Sunday and the Bears are like this bike... No where to be found! (it's stashed away to be remodeled or parted yet) but it is kinda fun that the bars, tape and seat from that first build (which was the 2013 Muscle Bike BO) have found their way onto Live Rust. In fact both pieces had been given away and then given back for this build...

GC.

Last edited:
Ok so it might not look like I did a lot but I totally took apart the front fork and changed the lower cup. New grease for the headset and reassembled the fork correctly. (had a couple pieces flipped before) The seatpost got tweaked and I got 90% of the remaining paint off including removing the headbadge and the paint behind it. I also ditched the platform pedals and dug up some vintage ankle biters.
IMG_20220216_155323.jpg

I think I have the lines right. Struts and sissy are there, handlebar grip and seat angle are pretty close and the frame seems to be about level...

GC.

Tore it down again yesterday and painted it flat black. Polish slash buffed it some today and after a couple run repairs she's goin' back together unless...
IMG_20220218_103338.jpg

I may decide to feather in a bit of color, top down and a dusting of weathering. I'm thinking gold & copper from the bottom, maybe just a hint of blue and brown primer from the top very lightly.
GC.

Carl, your silhouette shots are interesting adding a dramatic effect at times, but in this instance I can't see your work shooting against the light.... unless that's your intention.

Carl, your silhouette shots are interesting adding a dramatic effect at times, but in this instance I can't see your work shooting against the light.... unless that's your intention.
It's just flat black brother and some snow from earlier today in and out with the snowblower...

GC.

Here's a nod to days gone by.
RRB Muscle Bike sticker on the rear seat tube. Got the frame in the house waxing it up with some guitar polish. Skipped the brown primer (I didn't have any...) and went in a different direction with a light dusting of blue Metalcast over burgundy and baby blue. It still is black but there's color in it. After I shoot some Duplicolor Effex over the front quarter in a sparkle fade I'll get it reassembled. Still waiting on the chain.
IMG_20220218_231735.jpg

GC.

Last edited:
IMG_20220219_141555.jpg

Well my chain showed up, but no bicycle business today it's my sweeties birthday! That blue underneath tho...

GC.

Latest posts

Back