Rust Never Sleeps

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The start...
IMG_20211102_172253.jpg

I've got a lot of work ahead of me. Much of the "moving" parts are rusted solid...

Carl.

Last edited:
Work begins...
I've got to get the seatpost out and it's the most rusted one I've ever dealt with.
IMG_20211102_172619.jpg
IMG_20211102_172714.jpg
IMG_20211102_173702.jpg

Not today. After spraying a bit of Kroil on it now and then for a few days, I clamped it into the bench vise and gave it a twist. Nothing. Add some heat. Nope. So see the tiny hole I drilled? I've got a new place to shoot a little Kroil into. Intermittent spraying continues... Haven't started on the crank yet but I'm going to try to save the sprocket if it's the correct one.

Carl

Blow the flame down the post itself, sometimes heating the tube stuck on inside will pop the corrosion bond.

Can also try heat cycling it, heat the post and quench the whole thing.

Any way you heat it, dribble your favorite rust buster on while it's still hot and as it cools, as it cools it weeps in. Used to do this with candle wax on stuck bolts.

Good luck.

Is it possible to tap the locking wedge/bung out the bottom of the tube, allowing you to get something up from below to hit it?

Did you tap the bolt to break the wedge loose? Isn't that like a handlebar stem?
It is very much like an old gooseneck, should be fairly simple to fab a new one.

Bolt is loose, not sure about the wedge but I don't think it is. I don't want to hit it too hard just yet. You are correct thinking that freeing up the wedge nut will help a lot. Last resort will be to remove the bolt, cut the tube off and run a cold chisel up inside splitting the seatpost. I have done that before, it ain't pretty. Hmm... What are the chances it's a round wedge?

GC.

For the age, I would have thought there is a good chance of it being round. I would remove the bolt and try hitting the wedge with a rod.

Seatpost is still in place, but I got the crank cut out...
IMG_20211104_174316.jpg
IMG_20211104_174716.jpg
IMG_20211104_175549.jpg

I'm talking rust now...
The pedal was rusted to the crank arm solid so I cut the crank arm off. Then I slit the nut and washer, the cone eventually spun off revealing rusted bearings...
IMG_20211104_175528.jpg

I'm tempted to try and save the sprocket but I may have an identical Schwinn. We'll see.

GC.

@biggraham my seatpost was ruined before I got to it. The seat mount arm was busted off and lost. The post is crumbling in rust... It's coming out and I'll be fabbing a new one.

GC.

It is very much like an old gooseneck, should be fairly simple to fab a new one.

Bolt is loose, not sure about the wedge but I don't think it is. I don't want to hit it too hard just yet. You are correct thinking that freeing up the wedge nut will help a lot. Last resort will be to remove the bolt, cut the tube off and run a cold chisel up inside splitting the seatpost. I have done that before, it ain't pretty. Hmm... What are the chances it's a round wedge?

GC.
You'll at least need to tap on that bolt to free whatever type wedge is in there. You don't have to hit it with anything heavy just a fast sharp tap with a wrench or small hammer. More velocity than force.

Tap tap snap. The bolt broke. Driving the wedge down with a rod yielded zero results too. More fire more Kroil. Nothin'.
IMG_20211106_144736.jpg

Smoke rings out the hole I drilled.
IMG_20211106_144303.jpg

Before I broke the bolt.
IMG_20211106_144224.jpg

We're not going in thru the bottom either. This end sealed off is probably part of why sitting in the elements has rusted this together so badly.

GC.

Also... @barnbikes sorry for the hijack

Latest posts

Back