Rust Never Sleeps

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20211121_111444.jpg

It still exists

Wow brother I greatly appreciate it but I've got a 36 hole kickback hub and a 36h rim, so I just need to calculate and lace.
The 28h Komet hub will probably never see the light of day. It's nothing special just a little coaster brake. I'd send it to you if you want it.
Also found a mag sprocket "cleaning" my garage, lol.
IMG_20211122_135029.jpg

Funky little platform pedals, probably not.

Carl.

Oh man.... looks like lots of struggles so far....going to be well worth it in the end though!!

Will be following this build for inspiration on the two Swing-Bike projects in my basement😎
You wouldn't have a line on a extra seatpost would ya? I haven't started any fabrication yet...

Carl.

I've got to get the seatpost out and it's the most rusted one I've ever dealt with.
Here is hoping you don't accidentilly or otherwise break anything in the process. That.... I think I'm getting tetnus just from LOOKING at that thing, and for a vet of these boards to comment on the amount of rust?

That... is CONCERNING.

Here is hoping you don't accidentilly or otherwise break anything in the process. That.... I think I'm getting tetnus just from LOOKING at that thing, and for a vet of these boards to comment on the amount of rust?

That... is CONCERNING.
Go back. Read it again. I eventually cut it apart and welded a piece from a donor back in it's place. I'm about 90% done stripping the frame using a flap wheel and the rust has been coming off with the paint. There's one little spot eaten thru behind the sprocket on a chainstay but it will be filled with weld and closed no problem. I appreciate the concern, but really have no worries. I think I mentioned early on that it's not gonna be a restoration, I'm not that guy. I build rats. That's why I love it here...

GC.

Tonight's fun. I pulled out a flat chrome set of exercise bike handlebars and am trying out a repo Schwinn style springer from the stash.
IMG_20211122_201504.jpg

I think I'll be using the rear rim but I've yet to relace it to the kickback hub or strip the flaking black paint from it. Possible donor stem to be reworked into the new seatpost.

Carl.

Ok so I got to fabbing and did my 45 minutes in the garage this evening before I came in to make dinner for my adult children and I, which I am in the midst of right now...
IMG_20211123_174737.jpg

Nice piece of thickwall steel that just missed fitting into the tube...
IMG_20211123_174800.jpg

Used my bench grinder to remove a bit of material from the thickwall steel. Just a few thousandths I'm sure...lol
IMG_20211123_180741.jpg

After buffing with the flap wheel and cutting to fit a wedge bolt...
IMG_20211123_180833_Bokeh.jpg

I'll have about 4" in the tube and a possible 7" out, but it wont need that much. Biggest thing will be finding or making a bolt long enough.

GC.

Last edited:
Could you make due using a length of all-thread with Loctite'd jam nuts at the top end? I'm unsure if the threads will match your wedge, though. Even if they don't, it's probably easier to tap new threads than to fabri-cobble a specialty bolt.
Yeah I'm thinking threaded rod if I can't find a nice 10" hardened bolt.
I can also weld a nut to the top, maybe even a chrome one as it will show a little.
Stop about a thread shy on the topside and fill it with weld, grind and polish.

GC.

Early punch list: lace rear wheel, weld spot on chainstay, finish flap wheel work and shoot some primer, different handlebars, finish seatpost fab, cleanup the centering springs and find a bushing for the keeper pin. Cat brought me the handlebars he had from this bike, maybe originals... Crusty goose for sure came off this crusty bike!
16381989601562044214672427318693.jpg

There's a lot going on in this picture...lol
GC.

Mostly what I see in the pic are my favorite styled apes. Rusty is always good. 👍

Awesome model, great amp. And I did as well.
Dude that Blackstar is a killer amp. This one is a 20 watt driving an all original Teisco cabinet loaded with two 15" Pioneers! The one under the truck is a Jet city 20 watt combo pushing another 15' speaker cabinet. I run them in parallel and can split them on the fly into two distinct signal chains. Look me up on Instagram. GuitarlCarl I'm always posting crazy stuff guitar and bike related... #newrepairdude

Dude that Blackstar is a killer amp. This one is a 20 watt driving an all original Teisco cabinet loaded with two 15" Pioneers! The one under the truck is a Jet city 20 watt combo pushing another 15' speaker cabinet. I run them in parallel and can split them on the fly into two distinct signal chains. Look me up on Instagram. GuitarlCarl I'm always posting crazy stuff guitar and bike related... #newrepairdude
Ive heard no bad words about Blackstar.

Followed you and the tag. Saw Alchemists posts up there as will, hit a heart or ten when I logged on. Been a few since I logged in there. 👍 👍

Ever head out to the garage to do one thing and end up doing something else? Yeah so I'm getting my Cannondale up to snuff and adding some lights for a cruise with the Chicago Taildraggers Saturday night. I'm about half done and I look over at the Swing Bike. Next thing you know I'm welding a seatpost together. I'm glad I did, it turned out pretty decent. Bigger than it needs to be, with no holes drilled to mount the seat just yet. Mocked up looks ok to me...

IMG_20211202_234226.jpg
IMG_20211202_234335.jpg
IMG_20211202_234928.jpg

Those placeholder handlebars are too small for sure...

GC.

This is a most confusing bike - I saw the first picture and wondered why you were moving the handlebars so far back... ;)

It sure fits the idea of a swing bike, but will you be shortening or shaping the end so that it is less long than the saddle, or will the seat be changing somehow?

This is a most confusing bike - I saw the first picture and wondered why you were moving the handlebars so far back... ;)

It sure fits the idea of a swing bike, but will you be shortening or shaping the end so that it is less long than the saddle, or will the seat be changing somehow?
The text before the first picture said I built the seatpost. The idea of a swing bike? It's almost all original, I'd say it's more than an idea. The post I created was made to be cut down, hence the phrase "bigger than it needs to be". Why would I do that? Handlebars are a big part of it. Choices. I'm big and the bike is small. What bars will I use? Not the ones in the pic is all I know for sure, I'm picking another set up Saturday night. The seat? Probably, but will it be at that height or angle? Again, it depends on the handlebars. Choices, dude. I'm not locked into anything just yet. We're over two months from the deadline, plenty of time to decide.

GC.

Latest posts

Back