Rust removal, preserving and creation

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In the shed, close to the beach, QLD, Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been playing with both removing, creating and preserving rust a bit lately.

First: Electrolytic rust removal.

I had been doing a lot of reading about the different ways to remove rust without using abrasives.
There's all sorts of ways to do it, soak in vinegar, molasses and all kinds of liquids.
But the one that seemed most interesting to the mad scientist in me was the electronic way.

So here's what I made, based on info from the net.

A tub with metal rods attached to the sides, connected with wire (Do not use stainless as it produces toxic gas)

A bar across the top to hang the item from

A clamp from an old battery charger (I think)

All wired up for the power supply

Which is from an old computer.
Puts out 12V DC at about 14A

And you'll need some of this:
Baking soda/Bicarb soda or Wash soda/Lectric soda

Hook the POSITIVE to the metal bars in the water and the NEGATIVE to the item to be stripped of rust.

It starts bubbling and fizzing immediately

After about 20 Min...

After two hours

The next day all the rust has settled on the bottom

I'm thinking of adding a tap to the bucket so I can drain the liquid, which can be reused, and scrape the sludge out.

The amount of rods also needs to be increased when doing larger items.
More rods to attract the rust than the surface area of the item you're clearing is recommended.
Might make a grid setup which can easily be removed and cleaned as the rods need a bit of wire brushing every now and again.

The process can be reversed to create rust as well, but I've not tried that yet.
Some people use bigger tubs and an ARC welder.

Car battery charger works too, but an older, more basic one is better as the new modern ones are too "clever" and have regulators etc which may not deliver a high amperage.

smile.gif

Last edited:
Rust preserving.

I've started making rusty artwork which I'm selling at the local markets.
This is a radio I made to have at my stall.

The piece on the right is what the sheet looked like before wire brushing (angle grinder attachment) and coating with Xtroll.

Note the patch on the inside of the handle, top left, where I missed a spot...

The Xtroll does make the rust look a bit darker, but it gets a lovely shine which brings up all the dimples and dings in the surface.

What can I say....
I love rust!

smile.gif

For creating rust I have mixed up water, white vinegar and a couple of tablespoons of salt in a cup and brushed it on.
It works within an hour here in the tropics.
2/3 vinegar and 1/3 water is what I did, roughly.

After a few days outside in the weather some lovely rust covering has been created.

;)

This is a rad thread, especially the first post.... that's a technique i'd never heard of before. Great pics, too.

I;ve had luck removing rust from stainless and chrome using oxallic acid... a tried n true favorite that most of us are familiar with.

Last edited:
What are the rods from that are attached to the bucket?

They'r just 10mm mild steel round bar with a small bolt welded to the top.
I drilled holes in the bucket and secured them, along with the wire eyelets, from the outside with a nut.

In hindsight I should have, and might change it, so the rods are more like a mesh that just hangs over the edge of the bucket for easier removal and cleaning.

Rather than being attached.

:)

Last edited:
Thus is a rad thread, especially the first post.... that's a technique i'd never heard of before. Great pics, too.

I;ve had luck removing rust from stainless and chrome using oxallic acid... a tried n true favorite that most of us are familiar with.
Cheers.
Yeh I only found out about it a while back when Googling the subject of rust removal.
After reading numerous instructables and posts on varios forums I was convinced.
Naturally, at first it seemed odd to hook electricity up to water.

But it works.

And you can stick your hand in there while it's on and nothing happenes.
;)

For a piece of round tube like in my first experiment it's a bit pointless as you can just wire brush it, but I'm looking at welding som chain together so this will come in handy for that.

Last edited:
Yeah, the round tube probably didn't need that treatment, but it was excellent for demonstration purposes.

As for sticking your hand in there, I know you're right & it's safe, but i still probably wouldn't do it....

The surface area of steel is important I think.
More area to attract the rust than the piece you're "cleaning" makes sense.
Might even try a couple of plates rather than a grid for larger items.

I've seen some pics where they use a coffee tin or steel bucket and completely surround the item.

Just gotta keep trying.

What sort of soda did you use in the water, and what was your power supply?

[EDIT]

The importance of "line of sight" is also something that people debate.
As in, there needs to be a clear unobstructed line between the rusty item and the other steel.
Some say this matters, others don't.
I mean, they dip whole car bodies in tanks and clean them this way, so personally I don't think it matters.

More Googling to be done.

...but looking at the thread, it does look like some posts are missing.... or maybe you're talking to yourself, DVP? :crazy: My last post on this was the prediction that you'll go far on RRB... I still feel pretty sure of that. I wish I knew whose posts were deleted...

That's me; same name but different Avatar.... ha...
I thought so but then I wasn't sure as there are definitely posts missing....

Someone was saying they had tried the electrolyte method but the results weren't that good.
That's where I said "try again"

So who was that...?

o_O

Latest posts

Back