rusty-n-crusty (DONE!!!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that it was a gear driven alternator, but it looks like it had a belt driven alternator down low on the driver's side. The black cylinder has a big wire to it, kinda like a starter motor. Is it an electric driven supercharger? I don't know what it is, but it was cool and I should have stayed around long enough to hear it fire up.

I think you might be right about the electric supercharger, either way that looks crazy and is probably obscenely rare... Oh and the grill is epic!:D old packard?

Very cool rusty rust demo. Is that the SLACKERS in the background playing? Love the easy beat ska.

I'm really struggling with colors now. Bare metal looks cool. I really like the deep rich color of the rust with the clear coat. I'm not liking the color combination of the bare metal and rust. I prepared an extra piece of tubing to test colors, but I'm just not feeling it. Any suggestions?

Briefly rust the whole thing again for a two tone (dark and light) rust?
Thanks for the suggestion. My results end up either being rusted or not, I haven't been able to get a different shade or tone of rust. I also clear coated the frame, so I'd have to strip everything off to do it again.

I'm moving on with the wheels for now. Earlier, I painted my front wheel orange because I thought that would look good on the bike.

After I finished rusting and clear coating the frame, I didn't like the orange wheel anymore. I'm not happy with the original bare aluminum wheel color either. I don't think that it matches or contrasts the rust color.

I tried the wheelset from my bike with a bent springer fork and ape hangers, but it's too much black.

I put my original white wall tires on the black wheelset, but it's too black and white with the fender and frame.

So, I dug out a wheelset that I picked up this winter. I bought a Schwinn exercise bike with the HUGE sprocket and cool ape hangers. The seller ended up giving me his wife's bike too because he was moving. This wheelset is rusted and corroded but that makes it match my bike even better. I clear coated the wheels, and it's difficult to get it show up good in the picture.

The rear wheel had a 6 or 7 speed hub on it, so I had to strip down a bike that the neighbors gave me for parts.

I got the wheel built with a coaster brake hub and I got it clear coated. I should spend a little more time with it on the truing stand. In the true rat rot spirit, I haven't wanted to spend any money on parts, but I may have to splurge on some new tires for this build.

I also really need to clean my bike room, there's too much bike clutter in the background of my pictures.

Well, since it's the last minute I guess that I should get back on my project. I had a few family vacations and other crap sidetrack me. Last week, my wife and I visited the ghost town of Bodie, CA. I would say that I found my project for next year,

however, it's missing one leg on the rear triangle and it is located in a state park.

Anyways, I mentioned earlier that I bought an old Schwinn exercise bike and the the guy threw in another bike with the deal. The seat on the bike was trashed, but I like the shape of the pan and the springs are nice and rusted. Also, it's more of a crusty rat rod if I use old junk rather than one of my newer seats.

I had an old mattress pad that I used for the padding. I also have some extra material from when I made a fuzzy guitar for my ZZ Top Halloween costume.

I cut two layers of foam padding for the seat.

My wife gave me some other material to cover the foam padding.

I got the first layer on.

Now I'm almost done with the final cover.

I've been working on my chain guard, I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow.

Welcome back from the dead!
See you at the finish line!

I started my chain guard when I started the bike, but I finally made some good progress on my chain guard yesterday. We'll have to see if I still like it when I get done. I'm running out of time so it will somewhat limit my options. Anyways, I purchased some expanded metal from the local version of the national hardware store. I made some measurements and took it to the local high school. The metal shop teacher was really nice and bent it up in their metal brake.

I made a template for a new chain guard and I traced it out on my material.

Next I cut my chain guard and my fingers and hands. I've thought about changing the name of my build to tetanus.

Then I bent the metal for the curve and I tack welded it up.

After several rounds with the file, grinder and wire wheel I decided that I was done with fabrication.

Today, I need to complete the finish and the mounts, assemble the bike and try and take some decent pictures.

I'm calling it done. I clear coated the chain guard, fabricated a mount, and I installed it today. I finished the cover for my seat this morning. I packed the bottom bracket with grease, installed the fenders, mounted the tires, installed the wheels, made all of my final adjustments and I'm calling it done. I took a quick picture of it after I hauled it out of my basement workshop.

I got some pictures tonight, but hopefully I can get some better pictures tomorrow to highlight the features of my build. I've been thinking about this build since last year and I'm glad that I was able to get it done. There are a few more things that I thought about trying, but I like things simple and I'm really pleased with the results.

I'm already thinking about what I want to do next year.

I was actually thinking the same thing yesterday, and the frame kinda blends with the wood floor.
Maybe you should call it The Magic Carpet Ride...:21::grin:

Latest posts

Back