Rusty Rebel (One More Thing!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5/5/14 The Tear Down

Finally got a chance to work on the bike. Everything came apart fine, except I can't get the right pedal off the cranks. I'll work on it some more another day. The bearings were in rough shape. The grease looked more like a charcoal, clay mix. :) Next step is too wash the frame and clear coat it. :thumbsup:

What I started with:

After an hour of tinkering:

Crusty, greasy, and grimey. This will soon change so it at least looks presentable.

I'm going to do something special with the lights...
IMG_0108_zpsa207d09d.jpg

Bearings

Throw those bearings in a bucket of simple green for a couple days, then scrub with an old toothbrush,mine looked like that and came out nice and shiny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Throw those bearings in a bucket of simple green for a couple days, then scrub with an old toothbrush,mine looked like that and came out nice and shiny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, there soaking in a bucket of Purple Power right now.

No updates on the bike, but today was a big day. I got my license and motorcycle permit! :banana:

5/8/14

Prepped the frame for a clear coat. Sprayed the frame with Purple Power and then scrubbed it with an SOS pad cleaning up all the flakey rust and grease. It came out great! I really like the patina I'm left with. It's a nice mix of rust, bare metal, brazing, and black. My dad said to paint it, but that not happening!

My buddy also gave me this rusty wheel with a New Departure hub. It was a project all on its own to take the old tire off. I had to cut it off and then the rim strip had to be scraped off because it was melted to the wheel. It's straight as an arrow too! Not sure if I'm going to leave the wheelset rusty or paint them?

Cleaned up nicely. Are you going to clear coat it or just use boiled linseed oil?

Cleaned up nicely. Are you going to clear coat it or just use boiled linseed oil?

Just clearcoat it.

Build is on the backburner for this weekend. My brakes lines busted due to rust on my truck today in the school parking lot. Puked a massive puddle until I stopped it with a towel and some zip ties. Had to get it towed to my buddy's house. :cry:

Just clearcoat it.

Build is on the backburner for this weekend. My brakes lines busted due to rust on my truck today in the school parking lot. Puked a massive puddle until I stopped it with a towel and some zip ties. Had to get it towed to my buddy's house. :cry:
Better than on the road while out driving!

Luke.

Wow, someone is looking out for you there.
Had one no brakes incident and would not wish it on anyone.
Guess fixing that was not something you were aware of.

5/11/14 Clearcoat Time!

Got a lot done today! Clear coated the frame, fork, and chainguard. I put 4 coats on everything. I also cleaned up the crank and sprocket. Next step will be working on the wheels.

5/12/14 Assembly/Mock Up

It was another beautiful day out so I took advantage of it and started some assembly. I re-greased and assebled both the fork and crank, and put in the stem and seat post. Nothing to exciting, but this is a pretty simple build.

The last pic is a quick mock up with wheels/tires and some random handlebars. Not sure if I should paint the wheels red, black, or leave them rusty? Thoughts?

Clear turned out good.
Did you tape off the bearing races and cups? Not sure if it's enough to gum anything up or not.

Latest posts

Back