Rusty Ride, Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here we go, my first build off. It's going to be simple, very cheap, and rusty. I'm starting with a Schwinn Tiger that I probably overpaid for. The frame won't be customized and I don't have many parts to work with so I'll be using whatever I can find around the garage. The absolute least funds will be used. The most expensive thing will be tires as they are shot and I have none. It should be fun!

Here is the bike.

synevyja.jpg

That Tiger has pretty decent paint and graphics left!
Good luck!
Welcome to RRB and BONINE

Nice work stand. Learn something new everyday. Skip link chain is nice touch for a build. Look forward to seeing it when it's done.

So as I said in my intro to this build, it will be very cheap and I'll use what I can find. Unlike others, I don't have a lot of bikes or parts. I have this one, my old Sears cruiser, and my dad's Raleigh from the 70's which has been in a barn for 20 years.

I'm still in the process of cleaning the bike up and removing some surface rust with chrome polish. Amazing the difference. I'm glad some of the old striping is preserved. Before and After
a7e3uja5.jpg
arapequ2.jpg

Then I did a quick mock up with what I have.

y3asusyp.jpg

Nothing too exciting like other builds, but it'll get there.

No major updates on my build. Mainly a lot of elbow grease and polishing the 55 year old chrome. I did get a donor bike for some parts and then a tire given to me and a few other old parts. So far I have not invested any money in to the build other than the purchase if the bike. So my cheap build thought is holding up well.

The wheel I'm working on
eny5yzyh.jpg

Polishing
nyvyjudu.jpg

Free parts bike. Has bent at least one bent rim.
je2eta5e.jpg

That's it for now. More to come.

Good to see some extra parts came your way to help the budget build come together.
cleaning up and polishing the chrome etc can take a lot of work and entuisiasm.

I haven't posted anything in a little bit, but there is some progress happening. I got a lot cleaned on the bike and got some handlebars mocked up as you can see in the picture. More to come later...

e6etuqe5.jpg

Niice. I had that bike before. Great bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I haven't posted in a while, but I am still working on the bike. As I said earlier I am going for the cheapest build as possible and still making it cool. So far I have used all parts from my garage with exception to the headlight I got from my dad's shop. It's just as old as the bike if not older.

Here it is earlier today after some work.
ybu7y6a5.jpg

Then I have been working on using rubbing compound on the bike. Here is a before and after of the chain guard.
2asu6a2a.jpg

I've got to get a 26 x 1 3/4 tire for the rear. I'm trying to decide if I want to go with the 1 3/4 or the 2 3/4 and not put a fender back on. More decisions to be made. Nothing fancy but it's coming along.

White wall on the rear or no? I'm still thinking about going with an old 10-speed front wheel.

Maybe I'll do a black wall and pinstripe a red line on the tire.

Latest posts

Back