Salvageable?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Took this saddle of a Schwinn I just got. They didn’t have right seat post clamp so they just let the seat rest on the top of the seat post causing the leather to rise into a bubble.
EA2AFED2-3E74-43BA-A21E-1BBD181D7300.jpeg
maybe it was for comfort? :oops:
prostate checker?
Downhill grip?
Is there a way to salvage the seat or should I throw it into a parts bin?
31B0CEEE-91F7-47CE-9384-90B5DD16CB6A.jpeg

Wrap it in a very damp towel and put it in a plastic bag. After 24 hours, take it out and place some type of a clamp over that raised area (top and bottom) to "flatten" it down. May be able to get a c clamp or spring clamp around there. Wrap the towel around it again, and put it back in the bag for another day.

Take it out, let it dry for a few hours and put your choice of saddle dressing, leather conditioner, mink oil, etc on it in the sun

See what happens

I’d be a little more aggressive than Capt A. I think I’d wet down (maybe soak) the leather for a little while and then take a smooth face hammer to it, with a flat surface on the underside, working over the bump slowly with many small taps. This will soften and reshape the leather right there. Then let the leather dry completely out.
another source might be a shoe cobbler, boot maker, or saddle maker, if you could find one.
good luck and keep us up to date with posts (forum posts, that is).
yes, I did that

Latest posts

Back