Samson "Orange Power" cycle truck

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody!
I keep looking for my perfect bike. Recently, due to the fact that my club is taking long trips, I need a cargo bike. Loved as inspiration by Schwinn Cycle Truck. But I have my own brand, which I am trying to bring closer to world domination (in the future) - Nevsky Petrobalt.
One truck from the lineup is already on the road and awaiting final painting.
But I want to make my own truck with the Petrobalt family lines.
So, I'm starting to build an orange super-duper truck that will blow the world to pieces!))
img682.jpg

First, I need to prepare the parts that will stand in the slipway. Dropouts, bottom bracket and head tube. I decided to immediately integrate chain tensioners into the dropouts, it is convenient and you can quickly set the wheel in the desired position.
View attachment 159901View attachment 159902View attachment 159903View attachment 159904View attachment 159905
Ha ha, so you are the first one :D I had this idea to bring back the prewar style chain tensioners on the dropouts on my build too this year. Well, i am still not resigning from it, but now it is going to be less of a surprise :)
Cool that you've decided to take part in a build-off and good luck with your build!

Man, I can't tell you how sick it is that you are joining our Build Off this year! I am a big fan of your style and already love the old school axle tensioners you are adding.

3.4 kg (~7.75 lbs) is pretty light. Impressed with your welder's skill!
This welder is not me. I turned to Tony Wildwelder for help with welding, he knows how to weld aluminum. The last time I held a welding gun in my hands was 8 years ago.
I designed and prepared all the pipe connections for the weld, and Tony welded them together.

Last edited:
Nice work.
@OneHorsePower would love this! He built a wicked modern cycle truck about 5 build offs ago.

Yes, @kingfish254 , this reminds me of OHP's work for sure! I didn't see the shaping of the aluminum tubing, do you use a tube bender like one would for steel? Most shaping of aluminum tubes I know of is the hydroforming method.

Impressive frame design and execution! And a 3 1/2 lb frame is very light. Your tube diameter and clever use of bracing should provide a nice stiff platform for your cycle truck.

Yes, @kingfish254 , this reminds me of OHP's work for sure! I didn't see the shaping of the aluminum tubing, do you use a tube bender like one would for steel? Most shaping of aluminum tubes I know of is the hydroforming method.

Impressive frame design and execution! And a 3 1/2 lb frame is very light. Your tube diameter and clever use of bracing should provide a nice stiff platform for your cycle truck.

Yes, I used a regular pipe bender with steel rollers. The rollers were slightly larger than necessary, but this did not bother me, the small oval in the cross-section of the pipes makes them even more graceful.

Latest posts

Back