Saw my stolen bike yesterday!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My go to the grocery store bike is a rusted beater. I encouraged the rust and rough look. It is a 3 speed equipped Worksman cycle truck. I then use a Kryptonite Lock and a heavy chain with lock. Two locks plus rusty and rough. I've managed to keep this bike for almost 30 years while parking it out in the open in a bigger city. All my other bikes are only briefly locked with light chains and locks while I run into the coffee shop for coffee and it is in view the whole time. Never more than 10 minutes locked then back on the road. Haven't had a bike stolen in almost 40 years, knock on wood.

So I've only had 1 bike stolen ever, 1980s England, 16 or so years old at a girls flat/apartment 3rd floor and only flat/apartment on that floor left my bike outside her door, few hours later open door to leave no bike to be seen, pretty pissed off but not hugely as wasn't the flashest bike, called cops reported it, discribed it as custom as how many other patchy sanded down road bikes with smoothed out corners of all the triangles using bondo/bog filler, 700c red ano wheels with handlebars cut down so short that the brake adjuster barrels nearly touched each other plus had chrome bolt on grips from my vespa scooter on it and had a cateye computer on it, month later I see the same girl, she said she lucky to see me as she found the bike a couple days after was stolen in the bushes outside the flats she was in, only thing missing was the cateye computer which was ripped off its sliding cradle so would have been useless anyway, I don't believe she was involved cos the theft seemed to be less than amateur, plus she was down with us graffiti writers, I reckon some guy just happened to see me and the bike and took the opportunity to take it if he could, either way it's the dumbest theft in my life

Had a few stolen. Years ago we would go ear at kitchens and I had a front mount child seat on mine that has the top tube setup with the seatpost and headtube clamps. Out of all the bikes, somebody stole my seat. There was only three other kids there besides my son. I was pissed. I found the bike with my seat the next day, took it back and slashed his tires.

One of few bikes I want back, never saw one before, or since; is my Research Dynamics Coyote. With a fairly stiff, 2" travel fork, probably the best urban hardtail. The other is my Genesis Roadtech, I did a lot of work to, which is a story I'd rather not speak on.

Latest posts

Back