Schwinn 20” ID stingray, typhoon, other?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there a way to tell if this is a stingray or not?

I don’t think it is, but can’t prove it isn’t!!!!!

the fork with no chrome crown is throwing me.

typhoon?

any insight anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

I have confirmed it’s a 1967 frame.

Serial Number: KC24297
4E5D9718-B59F-4AED-95E6-64800025CDA8.jpeg

I got this thing home and put it beside my ‘65 stingray and my ‘67 frame....

It AIN’T a stingray!!!!!! :rofl:

It’s close, but, the geometry on this frame is just slightly different.

I’m guessing it was a 20” typhoon.

I can still use it for parts on my ‘67. Chainring, handlebar stem, crank, headset, seatpost clamp, fork.....

Worth the $20 I got into it.

Original paint looks good. The serial number eliminates the models not made that particular year, then the trim and decals may be different between models that year, narrowing down the possible model it is. So, by what yours shows, it's an early November made bike, so it's not a next year model. In 1967, that would have been sold new as a Fleet, Skipper, Typhoon, or Speedster.
All the Stingrays show a chrome fork cap. The Junior Stingray doesn't but didn't come in red.

The catalog didn't show any red Stingrays in 67. The Fleet did have a tank so RustyGold is right, it isn't a Fleet. The Typhoon and Skipper came in red that year, so it's one of those two. The 26" Skippers had white trim on the headtube, I don't know if the 20" version had white trim.
The chrome caps on Schwinn forks have all been the same from all that I've used over the years. A cap from a 26" will go right on the 20" fork, that's the 83 and earlier Schwinn's with the Ashtabula flat blade forks like yours. This pic from the 67 catalog shows the 20" bikes, no white trim on the Skipper. The Speedster was a camelback frame in 67 so it is out of the running.
1617950702269.png

Latest posts

Back