Schwinn aluminum Panther/Scrambler XL

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Such a cool build @Scambler XL ! Those 2000/01 Panthers are a best-kept secret, they ride amazingly well with Homegrown XC MTB geometry and lightweight aluminum construction. I had a stock one back in '03 and tried to make a lightweight one w carbon parts back in '14.

Sad to see it parted out with all that time invested but I agree that's likely your best bet. Or throw it up on eBay and see what happens? Or just keep it and ride the wheels off the thing. I would do that, KILLER BUILD!

The frame is not " high end" but a lot of the parts are! I'd say part it out and it will sell as parts on here, BMX Musuem, Pinkbike, and on eBay.
Yeah prolly not high end but hand built(welds are deep penetration but MEH)and has exclusivity. 7005 aluminum is Kool cuz ya dont have to go through a timed/temp cool down process. You can simply air cool it. But, if ya wanna look at it like this...a beach cruiser in 2000 for $599 w/ mediocre parts, sold as basically a frameset you could ride home (Schwinn knowing it would be modified) therefore mediocre at best parts...the frame was kinda high end for the time & the geometry given. Maybe?

Such a cool build @Scambler XL ! Those 2000/01 Panthers are a best-kept secret, they ride amazingly well with Homegrown XC MTB geometry and lightweight aluminum construction. I had a stock one back in '03 and tried to make a lightweight one w carbon parts back in '14.

Sad to see it parted out with all that time invested but I agree that's likely your best bet. Or throw it up on eBay and see what happens? Or just keep it and ride the wheels off the thing.

Sad to see it parted out with all that time invested but I agree that's likely your best bet. Or throw it up on eBay and see what happens? Or just keep it and ride the wheels off the thing. I would do that, KILLER BUILD!
Ya know what? Your right, it was my concept/my build & I absolutely love it. He (tube sock) was never the parent, I was.
It's just one of those things...lookin forward to a paycheck & wind up out of pocket for parts/ALL the labor including my guys that should've been wrenchin on hotrods and then splain it all too my overlord/wife lol. She's like, Me loves it, me rides, me keep. Um NO!
MINE! I guess I'll sell the stock one & keep this one. Gotta splain 2 Paramount's, ol chrome Schwinn kroozer/red anno BMX & now these two. I guess I can give her the Chrome Cruiser and one of the Paramounts
And keep a Paramount for me and this Scrambler XL. By the way that's what I call it cuz it reminds me of an earlier Scrambler but extra large.

And besides, parting it...ya only git Penny's on the dollar 1 & 2 ya sell a few bits too cheap then your stuck with a bad memory of a bike that's not even all there anymore. Thanks for the slap

Yes fleabay might be an option. I sold a 50's panther (green) complete nothing missing & was hoping for $500 & it pulled $1300!
Another bad mistake on my part. It was such a sweetheart.

Yes fleabay might be an option. I sold a 50's panther (green) complete nothing missing & was hoping for $500 & it pulled $1300!
Another bad mistake on my part. It was such a sweetheart.
Look at it like this, even though Al doesn't have anymore handlebars like these & if he did...not polished & if I tried to sell them even for the $75 he gave them to me for...NOT!
I'd get offers like $35 or something dumb. The JW machine and design stem even though not available at this time ($75 msrp) I'd get offers like $50 even though it's actually a 1off custom & high polished. Your absolutely right...I'd keep it or sell it as a whole on the bay. Guys cross the globe know & respect a PRO build & WILL pay for stuff of this caliber. Quality parts, 1 off, never again stuff. Not just cuz U.S.A. but cuz even if ya live here dont mean you can run down the street and get it. It was built to PRO 559 SPECS and then some. A 20 lb. BMX/BEECH KROOZER/XC doesn't fall off trees here either. Not that it needs a race lineage but could be VERY COMPETITIVE & prolly change rules cuz of crybabies. It's just a Kool bike that wound up homeless. I'll foster it and cover it. Built with most serious intent. So wicked it makes ol guys look like Pro's riding it.
So balanced you can take off no handed or pick it up by the seat horn & lift one handed & both wheels leave the ground at the same time. 50/50 balance even on scales. It's all about where your at on it & when.
Hangin off the back of the seat off the ramp (if ya got webo's) you can do a full rotation & chirp...land it like a 747.
Table tops are easy, wheelies are easy & you can ride um playin w/the disc lever. Not kidding, it's a wicked big bike that's lighter than most 20" bmx bikes.
Or...just krooz at your leisure with 3 strong pedal strokes a coast a 16th mile

Look at it like this, even though Al doesn't have anymore handlebars like these & if he did...not polished & if I tried to sell them even for the $75 he gave them to me for...NOT!
I'd get offers like $35 or something dumb. The JW machine and design stem even though not available at this time ($75 msrp) I'd get offers like $50 even though it's actually a 1off custom & high polished. Your absolutely right...I'd keep it or sell it as a whole on the bay. Guys cross the globe know & respect a PRO build & WILL pay for stuff of this caliber. Quality parts, 1 off, never again stuff. Not just cuz U.S.A. but cuz even if ya live here dont mean you can run down the street and get it. It was built to PRO 559 SPECS and then some. A 20 lb. BMX/BEECH KROOZER/XC doesn't fall off trees here either. Not that it needs a race lineage but could be VERY COMPETITIVE & prolly change rules cuz of crybabies. It's just a Kool bike that wound up homeless. I'll foster it and cover it. Built with most serious intent. So wicked it makes ol guys look like Pro's riding it.
So balanced you can take off no handed or pick it up by the seat horn & lift one handed & both wheels leave the ground at the same time. 50/50 balance even on scales. It's all about where your at on it & when.
Hangin off the back of the seat off the ramp (if ya got webo's) you can do a full rotation & chirp...land it like a 747.
Table tops are easy, wheelies are easy & you can ride um playin w/the disc lever. Not kidding, it's a wicked big bike that's lighter than most 20" bmx bikes.
Or...just krooz at your leisure with 3 strong pedal strokes a coast a 16th mile
and coast and coast

19.9 lbs! 20lbs even with my USB mini lights front & rear.

Attachments

• 20210823_200838.jpg
    20210823_200838.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 86

Latest posts

Back