schwinn approved generator, what am I missing?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
So I recently got a hold of a 1972 sears spyder 5 speed and it has a generator light setup. I cant figure out for the life of me how to wire it up, I think I might be missing a part where the wires connect to the generator (pics for clarity). What do I need?
IMG_1374.jpg

Last edited:
On this model the black wires attach to the bottom of the generator where the press on cap is. Stick the stripped ends of the two wires (headlight and tail light) in there and press the cap on. It should be a press and twist lock action. The bike itself is the electrical ground so there is only 1 wire that runs to the headlight and another to the tail light. They are wired in parallel, not series. There should be a small pointy screw in the generator mounting bracket that is the ground connection. I see it is missing on yours. It will dig a small hole through the paint to make electrical contact to the frame. it might be making contact anyhow. You can check that with a multi meter. Yes, the electricity flows through the headset bearings to get to the headlight. Looks like a white wire there. Perhaps that is a replacement wire going to the headlight? OEM were either black or grey.

These generators work by rubbing on the side wall of the tire. There is a mechanical lever that releases the catch. A spring holds it against tire. Lots of mechanical drag there. Not very efficient at all. Like it takes 100 watts of your leg power to generate 3 watts of electricity. It will knock a few mph off your riding speed. The 12 volt German versions are especially cruel. The bulbs are typically 6 volt 2.4 watt headlight and 6 volt 0.6 watt tail light. When one burns out the other gets full power and will also burn out. Riding over 15 to 18 mph will fry the bulbs. Some are rated for full power at 20kph (12 mph). There is NO voltage over load protection in the system.

Aligning the generator is important. It looks a bit out of line in your photo. The axis should be on a direct line to the wheel axle. The drive wheel should rub on the tire in the center of the drive wheel, not at the edge of the drive wheel otherwise it will destroy your tire pretty quick. They used to make rubbers for the drive wheel. Those would help protect the tire and also reduced the rotational speed (and power output) of the generator. Less light at slow speeds but it takes a higher speed to fry the bulbs. finding correct replacement bulbs can be difficult. Higher power bulbs just won't light up. Smaller wattage bulbs will burn out pretty much instantly.

My local bike coop has boxes of these very obsolete generators. Consider them for show, not actual use. Modern LED lights are vastly superior. There are certain brand/models that some Schwinn purists will pay big bucks for. Most have no value other than curiosity for younger cycling enthusiasts.

Last edited:
thank you so much for your informative reply! I was looking all over the place and couldn't find any info on it. I think it was definitely put on as an afterthought, looks cool though!

You are welcome. There were hundreds of brands of bottle generators made all around the world. I can see lettering on the bottom of it but can't read it. The double lens tail light is unique. Most were sold as aftermarket items. Relatively few bikes came with generator sets.

On this model the black wires attach to the bottom of the generator where the press on cap is. Stick the stripped ends of the two wires (headlight and tail light) in there and press the cap on. It should be a press and twist lock action. The bike itself is the electrical ground so there is only 1 wire that runs to the headlight and another to the tail light. They are wired in parallel, not series. There should be a small pointy screw in the generator mounting bracket that is the ground connection. I see it is missing on yours. It will dig a small hole through the paint to make electrical contact to the frame. it might be making contact anyhow. You can check that with a multi meter. Yes, the electricity flows through the headset bearings to get to the headlight. Looks like a white wire there. Perhaps that is a replacement wire going to the headlight? OEM were either black or grey.

These generators work by rubbing on the side wall of the tire. There is a mechanical lever that releases the catch. A spring holds it against tire. Lots of mechanical drag there. Not very efficient at all. Like it takes 100 watts of your leg power to generate 3 watts of electricity. It will knock a few mph off your riding speed. The 12 volt German versions are especially cruel. The bulbs are typically 6 volt 2.4 watt headlight and 6 volt 0.6 watt tail light. When one burns out the other gets full power and will also burn out. Riding over 15 to 18 mph will fry the bulbs. Some are rated for full power at 20kph (12 mph). There is NO voltage over load protection in the system.

Aligning the generator is important. It looks a bit out of line in your photo. The axis should be on a direct line to the wheel axle. The drive wheel should rub on the tire in the center of the drive wheel, not at the edge of the drive wheel otherwise it will destroy your tire pretty quick. They used to make rubbers for the drive wheel. Those would help protect the tire and also reduced the rotational speed (and power output) of the generator. Less light at slow speeds but it takes a higher speed to fry the bulbs. finding correct replacement bulbs can be difficult. Higher power bulbs just won't light up. Smaller wattage bulbs will burn out pretty much instantly.

My local bike coop has boxes of these very obsolete generators. Consider them for show, not actual use. Modern LED lights are vastly superior. There are certain brand/models that some Schwinn purists will pay big bucks for. Most have no value other than curiosity for younger cycling enthusiasts.
I've actually been able to convert LEDs to work on these you need to build a rectifier

Oh ya, another fun fact about these generators that I remember from back in the day is, when you stop moving the light stops too! Fun on country roads at stop signs!
@ingola , Would be cool to integrate a rechargable battery into a LED conversion so light would continue when stopped.

Latest posts

Back