Schwinn build.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my Schwinn so far.
20220423_124224.jpg

I have the opposite problem here, I picked up a pretty clean '78 Continental with a 20" frame and I need a 24" or larger. I tore it down for a complete overhaul a month ago but haven't been in any rush to put it back together since it's not going to be a rider. I thought about just getting an extra long seat post ad going with upright bars but it'll still be too small for me.

I've considered modifying one of those large frames into a chopper.

Keep the tall headtube.

Drop the top tube, rear even with the top of the tire.
Screenshot_20220428-173555_Chrome.jpg

Then pull the seat stays forward, and down.
Screenshot_20220428-173727_Chrome.jpg

You could run a short stem and flat bars or short cruiser bars. If ya wanna get a little wilder kick the headtube angle out.
Keep it all badged up as a schwinn.

Hope that makes sense.

You would end up with a rather uncomfortable riding position, similar to a mixte with too tall handlebars.
The fork geometry would be unchanged and the rear wheel would end up taking most of the weight leaving the rider with the feel of
a tiller steer recumbent bike in a way.

Convert it to a single speed, then use a pair of BMX axle pegs to get on it similar to how one gets on a penny farthing.
Set the seat for proper leg extension and enjoy the benefits of a taller frame.

I did something similar to a 69cm Raleigh Marathon years ago, the bike was too tall for even me to straddle at rest, so I converted it to a three speed with an AW hub, and used a left side foot peg on the rear to get onto the bike from a rolling start. It was one of the most comfortable long distance bikes I ever owned. It was the only bike I ever had that didn't cause me knee pain from being cramped up while pedaling.

I've considered modifying one of those large frames into a chopper.

Keep the tall headtube.

Drop the top tube, rear even with the top of the tire.View attachment 191316

Then pull the seat stays forward, and down.
View attachment 191317

You could run a short stem and flat bars or short cruiser bars. If ya wanna get a little wilder kick the headtube angle out.
Keep it all badged up as a schwinn.

Hope that makes sense.
A little more chopping involved, but I love this metamorphosis of a road bike...Extended Cruise by tjwilson ...
assembledInProcessPicts.jpg

DSC_9077_sideview01_03182017_FULLSIZE.jpg

I will leverage, tribute, hijack and steal the heck out of this design someday... absolutely love this build.

In the past few years of considering a high speed e-bike, my curent thought is to chop a 26" electro-forged frame down height-wise to keep the ridiculously long top tube intact and get out of the wind. I'll need to land another one of those huge frames, but am in no hurry. Maybe next year's RRBO...

Latest posts

Back