schwinn dx build Finished pics 7/1

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok nobody wanted my dx frame and forks, maybe the price was too high or maybe pre war Schwinn's are out now. For whatever the reason I have kicked and stepped on this one enough. Time for a build. A few months back I bought a 40"s womans Schwinn at a swap meet. It was cheap and had really good parts on it . So it became the doner bike for my build. This is just a mockup to get and idea for where I'm going. Decided to take the wheels apart and paint the rims black.Gives me a reason to redo another set of wheels. It will have the black points that Hooch and my brother think are necessary. Was going to go with the stencils on ebay ,but they look funny without the tank. So here is the start of another build . Should be finished with this one in a week or so....maybe. So tell me what ya think.

dxrd1.jpg

dxrd2.jpg

dxrd3.jpg

Re: Poor little unwanted dx

I think that it looks awfull............you need to box it up send it to me and Ill see if anything can be done with it :wink: :wink: :wink: :D
Cant wait to see it done, it will look great after you get done with it, wish I was confident enough to build wheels.

wish I was confident enough to build wheels.[/quote]
I don't know why everybody dosen't learn it. It really gives you alot of extra parts with being able to sand ...paint and reuse those rusty wheels. Get an old desposable wheel ,take it apart and practice putting it back together again. The only thing stopping you is you. :lol: Watch the youtube video and read hugos post. Its almost like yoga hummmmmmm ahhmmmm.

Uncle Stretch said:
Ok nobody wanted my dx frame and forks, maybe the price was too high or maybe pre war Schwinn's are out now. For whatever the reason I have kicked and stepped on this one enough. Time for a build. A few months back I bought a 40"s womans Schwinn at a swap meet. It was cheap and had really good parts on it . So it became the doner bike for my build. This is just a mockup to get and idea for where I'm going. Decided to take the wheels apart and paint the rims black.Gives me a reason to redo another set of wheels. It will have the black points that Hooch and my brother think are necessary. Was going to go with the stencils on ebay ,but they look funny without the tank. So here is the start of another build . Should be finished with this one in a week or so....maybe. So tell me what ya think.=================================================================================
OK, you asked...

That looks like a MIGHTY FINE startin' point for a ride right there....

I have a couple of these frames here, and one of them started out red, but I have yet to bring myself to paint it. It has been painted at some point in history, but it looks SO good, I can't bear to touch the frame or guard. It has a black springer fork on it now, but I don't think I could match the color, so I am probably gonna leave it that way for a while.

I like the bright red you have, it REALLY stands out. I'll be watchin' to see more photos as you go along. Which chainguard, tank or not, fenders or not???????

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Even a repop tank is $125 and this will be another sale bike so I cant afford to get too much money in it . The donor bike has super straight fenders and chainguard so they will be on it . Its all schwinn stuff ,even the seatpost says schwinn. I took one rim apart todat and I will strip both of them ,paint the rims black and relace them . The bad thing is the double butted spokes were all rusty and several broke . The only ones I have that are the right length are stainless. I guess they will be shinny. It will be interesting even for me to see how it turns out.ha ha

Re: schwinn dx build

Ok I finished my dx build. I had other plans on the direction it was going to go but kinda changed in mid stream. So tell me what you think. Except for the chainguard looking too high It is one from a 1940's schwinn and it has to be that way. not really changeable. :lol: :lol: :lol:

schwinn1.jpg

schwinn2.jpg

I couldn't help but notice the industrial sewing machine in the background of your shop. Do you do upholstery work? Let's hear it for dudes who sew, myself being one of them! Oh, and the bike looks great too.

Naw thats the wife's juki. she has to have the biggest everything . I bought a commerical singer when we use to build streetrods and set it up and sometime right about then I figured out I cant sew.ha ha

Re: schwinn dx build

Uncle Stretch said:
Ok I finished my dx build. I had other plans on the direction it was going to go but kinda changed in mid stream. So tell me what you think. Except for the chainguard looking too high It is one from a 1940's schwinn and it has to be that way. not really changeable. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Unc,
What size sprocket is that up front? I agree it seems that the chainguard is sitting up there a bit, but perhaps a larger front sprocket would help?

Looks like you have a pretty good-sized one in the rear... Is that a multi-speed?

The 52 tooth one on mine fills it up pretty good, I haven't tried anything smaller, but then again, Florida ain't got many lumps to go over either!

I like the way this turned out. It has some attitude, Dude! :mrgreen:

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

The wheel sets are off of a schwinn heavy duti I got the other day,and so is the chainring. I looked for the original chainring that came on the girls bike but i have misplaced it. The silly chain guard hooks on two places in the front so to lower it would require some cutting and welding. Not that im adversed to that but its a perfect straight 1940's chain guard and i hate to tear up good stuff.

You sound like your dad. It will have a black seat,that is just one i stuck on for the photo shoot . :wink: The only chain ring i have that is chrome came from the same guy and it was too thick. Never ran into that before.Dont know what he got it off of,but it was in his throw away pile and i grabbed it. surprize surprize it didnt work. These are flip bikes and I try to keep the cost down as much as i can.

sensor said:
yeah anything prewar isnt cool anymore
BA LON EY!!!! I'm old and I will still buy the oldest stuff I can find. Antiques Rule!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe I'm a dying breed.

cman said:
Looks better. I would still change out the chainring or paint it Black.
The dang thing was black...I hate to change a chain ring with fresh grease....I get that stuff every where. :roll: :roll:

Latest posts

Back