Schwinn DX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this off of a friend today. It's pretty complete, I have the front fender but one of the struts has snapped. I'll need to figure out some way to repair it because the repop struts are no where near the same gage. Does anyone know if the DX came in different trim levels or is this one missing the tank, carrier, etc?

20210214_160138.jpg

Nice! Figure out the year by the serial number or the crank forging and find the online catalogs for the trim levels offered for that year. If it is badged other than Schwinn it might not match the catalogs.

Here is a fender stay I did a graft on using pop rivets. It was on a set of prewar peaked fenders so I didn't want to use later stays, it wouldn't have looked right. The same repair could be attempted with soldering and blended in with epoxy.

20201002_221510.jpg

Nice bike in my favourite colour combo for that model. Check the serial number for year of manufacture and I'll see if I have any info in one of my books although I'm pretty sure the DX was available in different spec levels. Check the frame for marks indicating a tank may have been fitted at the factory. It looks to be original paint so check if the marks look to have been made by the tank being fitted to fresh paint.

I'm interested because I might be fixing up (something short of a proper restoration) a DX for the summer build off.

...and is it me, or does your walkway look like bicycle tire tread?

Nice bike in my favourite colour combo for that model. Check the serial number for year of manufacture and I'll see if I have any info in one of my books although I'm pretty sure the DX was available in different spec levels. Check the frame for marks indicating a tank may have been fitted at the factory. It looks to be original paint so check if the marks look to have been made by the tank being fitted to fresh paint.
My sleuthing had led to this:
  • The serial is J66340 which puts it in '53.
  • From the '53 catalog it looks like this is a Spitfire and I can see that there are at least two trim levels of that model.
  • If the painted rims are original to the bike it would make it a base model because the Deluxe had chrome rims.
  • I can't see any signs of wear from a tank.
20210215_150916.jpg

One thing that has me scratching my head is that there are 2 small holes on the top of the top tube 6 to 8 inches back of the head tube. I don't think they're for attaching the tank so I'm stumped there.

Anything else you can tell me based on the serial number would be greatly appreciated.

My sleuthing had led to this:
  • The serial is J66340 which puts it in '53.
  • From the '53 catalog it looks like this is a Spitfire and I can see that there are at least two trim levels of that model.
  • If the painted rims are original to the bike it would make it a base model because the Deluxe had chrome rims.
  • I can't see any signs of wear from a tank.
View attachment 151341

One thing that has me scratching my head is that there are 2 small holes on the top of the top tube 6 to 8 inches back of the head tube. I don't think they're for attaching the tank so I'm stumped there.

Anything else you can tell me based on the serial number would be greatly appreciated.

Here you go mate.
D1383D59-1E6B-4541-8DED-441CCA83ADFC.jpeg
D4A6C66E-4AE0-44B6-A319-21E8B9AF07D7.jpeg
A18D7EE9-161F-46B0-86C3-F7D2E440786B.jpeg

Agreed, they switched to the dropout numbers in 1952, so it must be earlier than that. Pre 48 records were lost in a fire. The dropouts were changed after the war to face forward like yours, so it's 45 or later. 1948 was D and E, 49 had F and G, then H, starting over at A in 1951. No J is shown on the BB numbers on the list. So, it may have been right at the end of the war before they began the new numbers. It could be 46. Just guessing.
Sometimes the Schwinn cranks had the year in 2 digits stamped in the middle. That may shed some light on it.
Here's a 46 DX from the CABE website:
DSCN5744.JPG

Last edited:
I bought this off of a friend today. It's pretty complete, I have the front fender but one of the struts has snapped. I'll need to figure out some way to repair it because the repop struts are no where near the same gage. Does anyone know if the DX came in different trim levels or is this one missing the tank, carrier, etc?

View attachment 151230
To repair the strut take a modern one and cut it off, drill pilot holes and screw it together with the original broken part with sheet metal screws and grind off the protruding parts of the sheet metal screws. If you can weld you can put a weld spot on the screws, but I have done this without welding.

Wow guys, that's great stuff. So it's a '46, and could have been either unequipped or "Standard equipped". I'll work as though it's unequipped for now and get that front fender on it, and repaint the chain guard.
Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back