Schwinn Facsimile 20" Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I was in Lancaster Co. PA this week and stopped at a roadside stand in Ephrata, PA. While my wife was picking out pumpkins to decorate the yard with I was checking out some bikes. I talked to the Mennonite lady and learned that she buys bikes at auction, fixes them, and resells. I noticed an old 20" bike that was rough, but when I saw the smooth welds at the headtube I realized it was probably an old Schwinn. She hadn't gotten around to doing anything with this bike yet and said she would take $10 for it, I told her that I would take it, but I would remove and leave the wheels and tires for her for another bike, the wheels were wrong anyway (mismatched and freewheel rear) and would make it easier for me to pack for the ride home. I knew as soon as I had it what my plans were.

I'm sure you've all see the bike in the middle, I've just been waiting for a frame. (I print off "idea" bikes and staple them to the wall in my shop)
EFB03539-4D54-47D6-A2EC-9D91D5F3DA0D.jpg

So here's the frame I'm working with.
CFF3E3F8-4553-452C-8B98-427287A457E7.jpg

7994E711-11B9-490E-8599-77D401359094.jpg

I'm guessing, if the bars and grips are correct, that this was not a Stingray, but a Scrambler, but wait, wrong forks? I don't know my Schwinn bikes.

Anyway, nothing much to it but a good staring point.

Hurdles to overcome:
-Bent fork, I'm guessing a use a longer fork like for a 26" bike?
-Making sure I don't cause chain interference.
-I'd like a slick, but "cheap" and "slick" don't go together.
-Time, I never got it.

Decided to pull the frame out this morning and actually do something with it. The rear rear triangle was from a donor Murray girl’s bike, as well as the new bottom bracket shell, and fork.

It’s all pretty straight forward.

Think up another project and jump in on BO16. You have until Sep 6th

Latest posts

Back