Schwinn Factory Fire Information

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do know the union was on strike at the time of the fire. The union blamed the company for torching the plant to save giving in to the union demands. I would imagine the union was blamed by the other side. A sad way for a bike maker to end...at least an end to "made in USA Schwinns". Gary

I think the fire was in 1948. Most Schwinns were still made in Chicago until 1984.

Unions? That's also why Cleveland Welding Company left Cleveland, the union demanded too much. They still made Roadmasters in Arkansas, but they were never as good.

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
They had a fire :? :? Never new that :?

That is why you can't find detalied serial number info before '48.

So far I have found out that the fire was on August 18, 1948 and the factory was located at 1836 Kostner Ave in Chicago. The building is still there.

I think that's one of the things that makes Schwinn and its history so neat. With such extensive history known after 1948 and serial numbers so thorough you can identify your bike down to the day of the week in most cases, but in such great contrast, a company so large and prolific, we know so very little about before 1948.

i have a schwinn that has serial numbers that dates it to the "factory fire"era. i just call it a 1947! :lol: be curious to find out what info they send you.

Latest posts

Back