Schwinn Heavi-Duti Front Hubmotor Ebike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This section needs more activity, so here's my 1972 HD with a 1000 watt front hubmotor and 52V Li battery mounted on the original rear rack. I use this for my daily ride to the mailbox, which is a bit over a mile round trip. It has the original rear wheel and 20T sprocket. Crankset is original too, except that I swapped the original 46(?)T chainring for a 42T.
Haevy Duti ebike1.jpg

That’s really cool.
I have a yellow 70 something step through Collegiate that is a perfect candidate for the same treatment.
I could use it as a commuter, and my wife could use it to come with me when I take longer rides on my other bikes.
She is a fair-weather, low-effort, short-trip, two weekend a year cyclist.
Maybe an electric assist would increase that.
Where did you get the wheel/ motor?

That’s really cool.
I have a yellow 70 something step through Collegiate that is a perfect candidate for the same treatment.
I could use it as a commuter, and my wife could use it to come with me when I take longer rides on my other bikes.
She is a fair-weather, low-effort, short-trip, two weekend a year cyclist.
Maybe an electric assist would increase that.
Where did you get the wheel/ motor?
Walmart.com.

How much of a pain in the butt was it to get the wheel in that fork? Very cool build
Not too bad. I had to file the dropouts a bit and remove the fender (because I didn't want to modify it). I didn't file enough to preclude reverting to original if I ever decide to do so.
I also used a torque arm, which didn't require any modification.
In retrospect, I think it would be better to swap in a fork from a later bike; one that can accept front brakes. Then put the entire original front end in storage with the wheel, fender and everything still attached. That's what I recommend to anyone who asks. This works fine, but that would have been better.

So you are running a coaster brake? That’s a lot of potential power.

So you are running a coaster brake? That’s a lot of potential power.
Yeah, just the original coaster. I have to be super careful with it. I'm thinking about putting the original wheel and fender back on this one and swapping the hubmotor to my late Heavy Duti, and adding some kind of front brake.

HDratz, I'm looking to do the same thing to my 1964 Cycle Truck that I am restoring. I have been undecided about whether to use a rear hub or front hub, you know , the pros and cons of each. So, why did you decide to go front hub motor? And what brand did you purchase?

HDratz, I'm looking to do the same thing to my 1964 Cycle Truck that I am restoring. I have been undecided about whether to use a rear hub or front hub, you know , the pros and cons of each. So, why did you decide to go front hub motor? And what brand did you purchase?
Ease of conversion, and ability to return the bike to stock. A rear hubmotor is better for rideability, but you lose the coaster brake and have to replace it with something. Also the hub is wider than stock, so you have to spread the stays.
Not sure what the brand is; it was just a cheap generic I got on walmart.com.

Latest posts

Back