Schwinn Heavy Duti as apposed to Heavy Duty?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past holiday weekend, my wife and I were looking in a local thrift store. In the bike rack out front was a black Schwinn Heavy Duti with rusty chrome fenders. They wanted $69 for it and I laughed at such a high price for a rusty old bike and walked away.

Now I can't get it out of my head! Been doing some online research and found the name Heavy Duti meant just that . HD frame, wheels, spokes, tires, etc. That bike, if it isn't too tall for me would be great for carrying my heavy duty frame around! LOL

Then I find an online reference for Schwinn catalogs. Going by color and the spelling of the word Duti vs Duty, it looks like black Duti's were only made 1 year, 1972. Prior to that it was spelled DUTY and after '72 the Heavy Duti was only listed in yellow. Man, I want to go back to that store and get that bike!

Thing is, Hurricane Irma is coming and could take a swing north to NC. I'd hate to buy that bike only to have to leave it behind if we have to evacuate and/or risk it getting damaged at my place. So first sign that Irma isn't coming here I may just HAVE to slip on down to the thrift store and see if Heavy Duti is still there.

Ha, The same thing happens to me at every swap. I see something (not to much $ either) and I pass on it - later I think "shoulda picked that up." :20:

If I remember correctly the 70's Heavy Duti's was a pre-teen to teenager sized bike. So it would be a little odd if this bicycle was actually too tall for you.

I'd go get it right now, first hold up a fifty to see if they'll take it. It'll probably be safe in the garage or shed, it's a Heavy Duti!

They still have made them recently. Was it this kind? (2015)
shopping

Or this kind (71 model) , made in Chicago:
JdYHJ6r68n.cz1Zxj8x73A.jpg

Those frames are 18" measuring the seat tube. I'm 5' 9" and need to raise the seat high to ride it.

I like both frame styles for different reasons. But, with the Chicago built frame, you have the option of leaving it as is, restoring it as a Heavy Duti or make a 'tank' bike tribute because that frame will fit a 'Phantom' style tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a Chicago built one. Looks just like your picture but dirty and rusty

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
You might be surprised at how well the paint and chrome will clean up, they were very good quality. I cleaned up a 64 American that looked pretty bad but came out looking great. Just soap and water, and a few coats of paste car wax.

Yeah, Chicago era chrome usually comes back a lot better than you would expect. If they won't take less, I'd still buy it.

I agree that Chicago Schwinn chrome is among the best ever used on bicycles, ever.... but some of those things had stainless fenders, which is even cooler than chrome, imo. I gotta say, i don´t recall having seen a Schwinn CHD with ¨Duti¨ spelled as ¨Duty.¨I´m really not sure why they spend it that way, but i pronounce it as ¨doo tie¨ in my head. :crazy:

Finally was able to get back to the thrift store today. The bike was gone.
On the plus side, because of hail damage to my car I got a new car yesterday. Kinda eases the pain of missing that old Schwinn. LOL

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

5741baf0c44ece01cf99d6a3d786d730.jpg

2000 duti and duty. One year orange.

Last edited:
No difference in Duty or Duti frames!!! The Duti bikes came with Bendix 4 pad coaster brake hubs.

Attachments

• IMG_20170627_181247.jpg
    IMG_20170627_181247.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 77

Latest posts

Back