Schwinn kickstand question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
My daughter's Fair Lady has a kickstand that has seen better days. The number stamped on it is '365'. There are several replacements I could buy. They are listed as "20", but none are '365'. One is listed as '8312'. One is listed as '374'.
What's the difference in numbers mean? Would either of those work for my bike?

The difference is the length of the kickstand. Bummer is, the 365 kickstand is the same used for a Krate with a disc brake, so those are a typically a big ticket item NOS.

Others should work though, as long as the length is similar.

I do not know that one...try over on the Schwinn Bike Forum, they may know if the numbers stamped on them mean something.

I would measure them from the downward bend to the bend by the bottom. Seems like that is what you would need, so when the kickstand is up it tucks nicely by the frame.

It's more than the length. They can have drastically different angles too. I know because I've cleaned out the local Schwinn store of all their old kickstands.

I was able to use a Pixie kickstand on the kid's midget but it's a little shorter than the original. I think the original was a 374 and one was a 375.

If you try to put an early Stingray kickstand on a later frame it will end up in the middle of the wheel. You really need to be able to hold the kickstand up to the one you want to try. You need the angle of the bend to match and there are lots of different angles.

You can paint them with silver paint and get a look close to the original dull cad plating. Using a different one is tricky and like Rob said the prices on the one you need will be high on ebay.

I want to try and make a replacement out of aluminum stock sometime. Those things are heavy!

Noodle = An "out there" project of trying to make something non-standard useful for your application, or just trying to figure out how to re-assemble your old Audi after it breaks.

unless it's a big $ concours resto, I generally take Schwinn kickstand that don't clean up to 'rider grade' and paint them - best match I have found for the cad is Eastwood, or similar, stainless steel paint used on muscle car gas tanks, has a shiney silver-grey look but not so 'painted' looking, will have to post a pic of the one on my own fairlady. need to post pics of that anyways now it's finished.

Well heck. I soaked the rusty kickstand, which still had some shiney parts, in Oxalic acid (wood bleach) along with a couple other parts that had some rust on them (seat post, seat clamp, sissy clamps) Well, guess how to tell if something is Cad plated? Soak them in Oxalic acid. The plating is take right off, along with the rust! The seat post looks great, but the cad plated stuff looks like bare metal!

ugh

I can replace the other stuff. But the kicks stand... being a "Krate" kickstand, ruins my budget. Do you think another stand will work on this Fair Lady? The stamped codes seem to be all over the place. I don't understand them.

Sorry to hear about the cad ... I've read Evaporust works best on Cad parts. I've been keeping some around just for things like hardware.
But never heard of Oxy eating the cad :(, bummer.

I'd just paint it - no need to break the bank, try the stainless paint. still have to get a pic of my stands to show....

Ok, $25 isn't bad at all. That's what I'm going to do. But before I give it to him I have to get the spring off it. Before I try this and screw it up or break it, does anyone know to accomplish this correctly?

aw2tUs.jpg

Ok, $25 isn't bad at all. That's what I'm going to do. But before I give it to him I have to get the spring off it. Before I try this and screw it up or break it, does anyone know to accomplish this correctly?

aw2tUs.jpg
I would just compress the spring in a vice and wire it so it stays compressed.. Then after it is chrome plated cut the wire off:)

There's something I have not done in 1,000 years but you got the answer right there. squeeze the spring in a little and tap the stop pin out. It'll probably just slide right out when spring is compressed but I'd be prepared to tap it just the same. .

Latest posts

Back