Schwinn Racer military build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this old Schwinn kicking around for a while and I really like some of the military builds that you guys have done, so I guess I'll do one of my own. Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

001.jpg

Tear down!
004.jpg

I'd go with a black or primer red base coat with a flat blue over it then sand through in spots to make it look aged. few navy logos as mentioned before, Then possibly a custom rear rack to finish it off. Rat on!

if i remember 'military' was one of the categories steve solicited feedback for as a potential next buildoff.

it would be a shame if you finished it and then it became the 2012 rrbbo a couple months later...... :x

or if you waited and it didn't...... :oops:

been thinkin' about this because i have a frame that's telling me it wants to 'enlist' too. :wink:

i've always wanted to build one with a machete in a holster on the side. already bought the machete with holster all i need is a bike! :mrgreen:

That's a great idea, there have been many military builds on here. I've done an Army build before and I have another bike that I have been thinking of doing an air force build on.

I just finished this one myself, I have a couple of shiny parts on there but I just had to used the big 52 Monark chainring. Have you decided on anything yet?
Picture731.jpg

I've got a pretty nice set of fenders for a racer if you are interested. I'd sell them cheap! They are chrome with the mohawk front. Don't want you to get shot though! You could always paint em!

Got most of the painting done now. I know a "true" military paint job would consist of slathering everything in olive drab, but I think that would just end up looking like a stolen bike. I had to add a little color just to break things up, even if that color is flat black. I know it's not authentic that way, but to me it looks better.

fenders002.jpg

I made a simple cardboard mask to spray the fender struts, I was afraid if I taped the fenders I would lift the paint off.
fenders001.jpg

Next up...lettering! Oh boy...

If you do your letters in flat black or flat light yellow, starting with *USN- whatever you choose, it could have SeaBee roots. All we did when I was in was sit on the beach drinking beer, get in fights with fleet bums, get in fights with the Marine security detachment at our base (Spain)... But mostly sit around drinking beer. Even during a hurricane when we had to sleep in the warehouses at our base in Mississippi (in brand new WW2 trucks, I got discharged in 1996).

Looks good so far.

And the best rattle can BRG is Rustoleum Dark Hunter Green.Goes on Jaguar, chalks out to Triumph or MG.

Latest posts

Back