Schwinn seat post is too small???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Bought a Green Hornet Schwinn from Kalifornia. In shipping to the state of Misery, UPS destroyed it. After a $100 repair and straightening the fork, I am trying to install a leather covered seat with chrome springs on this old 24" girl's bike. It is made for the modern larger diameter post and of course the Hornet has the 1950s small seat post. What's the best and safest way to fix the problem? This is for my bride of 49 years and 11 months. Can't have the seat sliding down the post. Thanks in advance and Be Well, SS.

I've used the smaller clamp part from the old seat and installed it on the new seat. The parts have to match up to hold the seat though. The teeth of the clamp must fit together fairly well for that to work.
1622329386677.png

I had a shim which was made to go on the Schwinn post that fit the new size seat, but I don't know where you might find one of those adapters.

Wald makes a pillard seatpost that fits into the Schwinn frame and has a standard end to clamp a modern seat to. They can bend if a heavy person rides rough. You can insert a pipe inside the post held in place with JB Weld if you think bending might be an issue. eBay has them, wald pillard seatpost for vintage Schwinn.

It is made for the modern larger diameter post and of course the Hornet has the 1950s small seat post. What's the best and safest way to fix the problem?
Dear Mr. Stuff:
Hard to respond more specifically without some numbers. But here is a photo of a recent fix adapting a newer seat (7/8" clamp) to an older seat post (5/8"). Intervening piece is a shim made of 1/16" aluminum.
Have fun!

shim.jpg

I see what you did there. Thanks guys. I did mix and match on the old parts of the clamp with the new parts to get a good hold. I will ride it a bit before turning it over to the bride of 49 years and eleven months. I now have to figure out how to get gearing and improve the braking system. Notice I didn't say break? I don't want it to break but to stop so I use brakes to stop it. I think a Sturmy/Archer rear hub and a front hub with brakes may do it. If I have to go to a new set of wheels it is OK. But I will have to paint them and treat the spokes with some red primer to look aged. Patina? Thanks again and Be well, Short Stuff.

Was watching a clunker build and the guy turned the seat post around to get the seat to fit.

Latest posts

Back