Schwinn ser# help please. a 52 or???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is the Schwinn I bought off local CL yesterday, a freshfind, but i'm not sure bout what year it is.

DSCN3993.jpg

DSCN3991.jpg

DSCN3990.jpg

According to the Schwinn ser# chart, my # C18504 on the left rear dropout puts it as either a 52', a 56' or a 57' as all those years cover C00001-C99999. Numberical logic puts it most likely a 52', not as likely a 56' and least likely a 57', but any off the three would make this the oldest bike I have owned to date :mrgreen: . Maybe someone can tell by whats left of the truss bar (?) support piece an the stem (and that part IS for sale, btw, pm me) or the odd rear carrier mount (?) piece above the rear wheel. By the looks of all the wrong drivetrain, looks to me to be a skiptooth conversion perpitrated back in the day.

So help me out guys, do I have a 52' Schwinn here? Descent for $35? Perhaps the essentials for a very late entry build off bike? Thanks for any information on year or even what model it may have been. Now, off to go put some miles on this classic, ratty old Schwinn. Enjoy!

Others can tell you more about the bracket on the frame, but you may be able to get another clue at the year, if it has the original cranks. It has a newer sprocket and they look very shiny, but there's a chance they came with it and they just changed the sprocket. If you pull the cranks, in the middle will be some numbers, one set will be the last 2 digits of the year of manufacture.

Unfortunatly, the cranks are new too. I am gonna put a cloverleaf back on it, pull the rear fender and am up in the air about sanding down and repainting it or just enjoy the natural patina. A part of me dig all the crazy stickers on that fender ahich look like it got bobbed years ago.

I am not an expert so I can't help you with the number but that rear mount is for the rear brake, it used to be a 3 speed bike because they don't have it that way on Schwinn's coaster brake frames.

Looks like wheels from a Murray or something else and an 80's/90's Huffy sprocket or even a Western Flyer Grand Trophy like the one on my 90's Flyer.

kngtmat said:
I am not an expert so I can't help you with the number but that rear mount is for the rear brake, it used to be a 3 speed bike because they don't have it that way on Schwinn's coaster brake frames.

Looks like wheels from a Murray or something else and an 80's/90's Huffy sprocket or even a Western Flyer Grand Trophy like the one on my 90's Flyer.

Wheels from a 63' Ross and the crank is cro mo from a BMX. Have since removed the fender, put on aluminum wheels and put a Schwinn cloverleaf ring on. Put about 6 miles on it and now time to rebuild it all. More picts tommorow.

That's more than likely a middleweight frame. You can tell by the fender bridge on the seat stays. It is the kind used to mount hand brakes. The fork is also drilled for hand brakes. Middleweights came out in '54 so that's probably the oldest it could be. Gary

So I have been doing some other research on the side and along with what you guys tell me:

1. It is not a 52' as it looks to be a middle weight frame with what I have been told is a brace for rear hand brakes, over the rear wheel as in "it probably was a 3speed" originally.

2. That mounting point on the headset that I thought was for a pair of truss rods, is more likely for a front mounted carrier, like I see in 56' and 57' schwinn picts.

3. Rear fender was probably originally not chrome plated and no chrome fork cap piece.

I am thinking it was probably a 3speed originally, and with those handlebars and other factors, I am thinking Corvette or Jaguar 3speed. Were there other 3speed models with cruiser tires, front carrier, those handlebars for either 56' or 57' besides the Corvette and Jaguar? Difference between the two? Thanks for any help in advance with id on my ser#C18504 Schwinn. 8)

The bracket is the same for a carrier or truss rods. You'll never know which. It could also be a Tiger. Jag had a tank and rear rack, Corvette no tank or rear rack. Both had stainless fenders. Gary

Thanks for the help so far guys. I am hoping it is a Vette, cuz that would be cool. :mrgreen:
Figuring it was a 3 speed at one time, I put the Nexus 3speed drivetrain and wheel set from my 2004 Torker Boardwalk and made er' a 3 speed again. I am torn between leaving it "as is" paint wise of repainting sun yellow. I can paint it anytime I want, but I can't make it look like it does now with its natural patina.

So far... I havent been able to stop riding it... and that was BEFORE I put the 3speed wheels on! :roll:

After more investigation on-line and looking very closely at the bike, i'm rather sure it's a Corvette and its a 56'. Allready threw on a Nexus hub and think I wanna keep the paint "as is", at least for now. Thanks for the help guys. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back