Schwinn Speedster - FINISHED!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first build on this forum!

I'm starting with a frame that most wouldn't consider very desirable, a Chicago made 1967 Schwinn Speedster that I found on ebay. I was the only bidder.
speed_1.jpg

speed_2.jpg

The goal is to make something good out of a frame that not many people would want. I've done this before when I built this fixed gear out of an old Ross Grand Tour.
ross_1.jpg

I'm going to build the Speedster California Cruiser style. http://bmxsociety.com/topic/38162-cal-cruisers/

Re: Schwinn Speedster

Cal Cruiser? Klunker? Whatever you call 'em, I dig 'em. I've been thinking for a while now about building up a Speedster/camelback frame, but I picture one with 650 deep V's, disc brakes and a single speed.

I had the same thing in mind with a 3 spd version but people wanted a lot of money on CL. Found a $100 Trel Classic instead. Can;t wait to see yours.

The old Schwinns are nice actually. A bit heavy but comfy. I built this out of one of the semi-rare curved tube sprints. I used gun blue for the finish.

DSC02226.jpg

DSC02225.jpg

Since I got the frame, I've collected most of the parts I'll need to finish it and here they are. My colors will be a white frame with blue and chrome pretty much every thing else

The wheels are blue anno cruiser wheels from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse.
speed_3.jpg

I bought both blue and black tires, and after mounting both, I decided to go with the blue. It gives that 80's BMX look I'm after.
speed_4.jpg

The forks are chrome Sunshine BMX style 26"
1289635107.jpg

I wanted vintage BMX cruiser bars, but I saw these 1974 Hodaka Dirt Squirt bars and figured they would be perfect.
1289635107-1.jpg

The rest of the parts are 80's BMX style that I got mostly from Porkchop BMX.
1289635369.jpg

1289635109-1.jpg

1289635369.jpg

1289635368.jpg

1289635370.jpg

I'm using the cranks that came with the frame because they cleaned up nice and look great with the new parts.
1289635108.jpg

I haven't decided on the seat yet. The SE Blitz has the look I'm after but is hard plastic and isn't much good for cruising over to the Ale House :D , The Troxel look seat will be more comfy and will look correct. I'll decide on that later...

I stripped the frame and did a quick mock up. You can kind of see where this is going.
speed_5.jpg

I've decided that because it's a cruiser and not a BMX bike that I'd leave the kickstand mount on the frame so I don't have to lean it up against a wall.

Now it's time to drop the frame off to the bead blaster. More later.

Hey Beau, I like your bike, very cool, especially the double chain! I had no Idea Schwinn made a frame like that.

I like yours! That thing is awesome looking! I never thought of using a frame like that for a BMX/MTB build.

Way cool.

8) me likes it,especially the blue part :mrgreen:

Due to my being slammed at work, Christmas, and the rainy weather here in Cali, I haven't done much on it since I have to paint it outside. It's not supposed to rain this weekend so I'll be able to at least prime the frame. All it needs is paint and I can put it together. I just have to find the time...

Update! Finished!

I never thought I'd finish it, but it's a rider! It's only missing the kickstand, the old one was too crusty to put back on so I'll have to get a new one. It rides as good as it looks!

speed_cc1.jpg

speed_cc2.jpg

speed_cc3.jpg

speed_cc4.jpg

speed_cc5.jpg

It turned out way better than I thought it would. My favorite bike so far!

Latest posts

Back