Schwinn Stingray???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys!

A buddy of mine gave this bike to my son. He says its a late 60s Stingray, but I cant find a serial number. My boy wants to clean it up, put it together and sell it to her pay for his car project.

Does any one know if this is really a stingray, and where I confined the serial number?

IMG_6867.jpeg

71. It's definitely a Chicago Schwinn. What model is hard to tell, they used the same frames for different models. The chain guard, if original may have some remnants of a model name. Either way, when put back together will look just like a Stingray, and might be one. The deluxe model came with those fenders if they are original. That year the stingrays were green, yellow, or blue. Inside the frame may show some original color.

Thanks. I’ll have to check date code on some of the other parts. I know for sure thst the chain guard isn’t original.

My son plans to sell it to help pay for his car. We got him a 61 Ford Falcon. Hopefully the bike it worth at least a few hundred when it’s done…

Should we paint it? Or leave it? The current paint is kinda beat up.

I'd just sell it as is. Repainting will not net a return. The two valuable pieces are the frame and wheels. Good luck, the Falcon sounds awesome!

@blown240 It is a legit '71 Stingray frame, like stated some mismatched parts. Not as desirable as the pre '70 bikes. The sprocket is wrong it would be a 46 tooth mag sprocket. The fork looks mismatched as it has a brake mounting hole. The stem handlebars and crank will have dates hopefully they are a match. What is the rear hub and is the rim stamped in the center , side or not at all? The fenders are incorrect maybe they are off a Fairlady. The chain guard is wrong. All cleaned ,greased and assembled with those parts and riding no paint you would be lucky to get $200. If the tires and wheels are in good shape they have the most value.

Thanks!!

What’s a reasonable price?
Parting it out will be your best bet to make some bucks for the car. Frame + fork $150 Handlebars + stem $50-$75. If you have the upper seat pan and it's in decent shape I'd ask $75 for that. Chainguard appears to be a later seventies guard for a bike with deraileur gears. 50 bucks for that probably. Not real knowledgeable on the wheels. Costs a small fortune to make these original enough to be valuable as a whole bike.

1970-1972 could also be a coaster brake Krate, which also allows it to be Orange, Red, White or Silver.
Also, in my experience the 1970- 1973 bikes are doing ok on price, if they have original paint or are patina survivor bikes.
See if there is any evidence of the original color inside the frame tubes, bottom bracket or head tube.

I had a 1971 coaster Stingray that used those fenders, as long as they clear the S-2 rim on the back.
Below is a 1971 Slik Chik from the Schwinn Product Catalog. No Standard boys Stingray pictured there but a Slik Chik was the same bike on a girls frame. S-2 rear with 20x2.125 Slik.
Screenshot_20220830-023320_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20220830-023553_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Latest posts

Back