Schwinn Varsity back on the road

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 1979 customized Schwinn Varsity had a rear Velocity Chukar rim go bad after about 20 years of riding. Took me a year to purchase new rims in silver, install them and start riding the bike again. Took her out this evening to the Port of Sacramento. So far so good. As you can see I took a Schwinn Varsity, got rid of most of the original parts. They were pretty worn when I got the bike and replaced everything with nice new parts. I used a 180mm Profile crank and sprocket. It is 1x10 with a Shimano Deore MTB rear derailleur. Microshift SIS handlebar shifter on a S and M Bruzer handlebar. I have 700C x 40mm Schwalbe Marathon Pro tires on it. Not a lot of room in back for that tire but the front fork clears the tire well. Tektro 559 sidepull brakes. These brakes are terrific. Powerful like disc brakes and quiet. Pedals are Velo Orange platforms. My favorite bicycle. Just celebrating its return.
IMG_1512.jpg
IMG_1509.jpg
IMG_1492.jpg
IMG_1494.jpg
IMG_1499.jpg

I'm generally too tall for cantilever style frames
We're the same height and other than at speeds above 45mph or so being a little squirrely, for BMX type setup and riding it's not a horrible fit for me. As soon as I get my truck back, I'll be giving it a pump track shakedown.

20220620_123719.jpg

You have a lovely bike there. I have one cantilever style frame. It is an 18" frame Worksman LGB cycle truck. To make it fit me I have 12" BMX bar, 180mm one piece crank, and a ridiculously long seatpost. I finally found a seatpost that wouldn't bend then my seatpost tube broke from the strain of that post on the tube. I'm just now putting that bike back together after getting the tube welded. The Worksman has had a hard life of literally hauling groceries for almost 30 years now. Our two gas powered vehicles are getting much less use right now due to oil company profits being so high. But it always is good to have a running one available. Let us know how your pump track shakedown goes.

Latest posts

Back