Schwinn Varsity Party Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Such a sweet old Schwinn. Well done and it looks killer. I got a call a few weeks ago from an old customer asking me if I wanted his old (Taiwanese built) Roadmaster 10 speed which just happens to be the same color and model as the one I got as my first bike 40 years ago. I need to go pick it up.

Thanks for the input Doc!

Thanks to OJ on the saddle!!

That thing is glowing! The bag was off eBay. Not sure of the “M.Rufous” or whatever it is name brand: maybe it’s popular in India where the bag came from! All I know is, the green leather looked cool online!

I had to laugh, The painters tape I used for masking was on for sometime and also did not react well with the sun and outdoor use.

There was all sorts of lines and adhesive residue left behind from baking in the sun I guess.

There were also a few spots of overspray that crept through, and I have no idea how that happened!!!

In desperation I hit the thing with some goo-gone; the adhesive and overspray came off effortlessly and the seat was glowing with this rich patina…. I was like; “what the ….. ?”

Finally on your chrome spray paint, I must confess, without question, the best results I have ever had with a “chrome” paint.

This is definitely not the stuff we had as kids !!!!

Just big-box rust oleum metallic. I don’t think I’ll ever use any other brand.

-got it as a Father’s Day gift from baby Jude #3!
View attachment 198753
This is the "chrome" that I use too. Have you ever noticed a metallic "dust" on your hands when you handle the part after it dries? I have clear coated it but that seems to dull it. Any advice?

This is the "chrome" that I use too. Have you ever noticed a metallic "dust" on your hands when you handle the part after it dries? I have clear coated it but that seems to dull it. Any advice?
Jude, nice clean ride. Before spraying my recent build with the dupli-color Metallic, I email them about spraying a clear over it for durability. They recommended not spraying the clear as that would dull the metallic (what you are experiencing). I DID see a bit of metallic floating in the air during spraying but not after it dried.

I wonder if the manufacturer recommends several lite coats of paint or heavier wetter coats. The wetter coats may "trap" the metallic flake in the paint binder to prevent it (flake) from rubbing off.......🤔

Jude, nice clean ride. Before spraying my recent build with the dupli-color Metallic, I email them about spraying a clear over it for durability. They recommended not spraying the clear as that would dull the metallic (what you are experiencing). I DID see a bit of metallic floating in the air during spraying but not after it dried.

I wonder if the manufacturer recommends several lite coats of paint or heavier wetter coats. The wetter coats may "trap" the metallic flake in the paint binder to prevent it (flake) from rubbing off.......🤔
I was thinker wetter application might help.

If the varsity was the top of the line bike, I would think it would need 10 speeds too.

The Varsity 8/10 speed was always the bottom of the line road bike offering from Schwinn. Rivaled a couple years by the Schwinn Runabout (10 speed version) and the Schwinn Caliente. I have a post Chicago factory Schwinn Varsity made by Murray. Yikes, it's got some amazingly bad construction.

The first couple years of Varsity and Continental are about the only worthy of collecting status.

The suicide front shifter is pretty cool.

And before the 8 speed, there was a 3 speed Varsity. Those are very rare. It was paired up with the girls Coed 3 speed, later changed to Traveler, then again to Racer & Breeze (ladies version). My guess the college themes were too high-hat for many buyers.

Latest posts

Back