Schwummit strandie

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great upgrades! Can't wait to see this on our next ride. That ring really pops with the gumwalls.

Pic from today’s ride
1FE9E94E-FB9A-4BE8-80CB-70D12EC4F2DD.jpeg

Catastrophic failure on my ride today!
07CA910B-6FA2-462A-8920-101F09EE2619.jpeg
1B3D2E7D-716B-470B-B3B4-891D16A0B4A3.jpeg
7B59A8E1-1442-4659-9A74-231AC14C7C6C.jpeg

Fortunately, it happened, one, as I was coming back into my driveway, two, I already had a new one on order, three, I didn’t sit down! 🥴

I might as well take the time to give it a good bath and perform some maintenance on it, the chain line is off a bit…..stay tuned for the replacement!
Cheers!

Ouch!!! That seatpost looks like this. :D

1656031359871.png

That seatpost is awesome!!!
Just don't let this one break and end up with a goldmember

1656522723460.png

Pic from last night’s 4th of July ride on River St. The bike performed flawlessly. We had to do a lot of riding on the cobblestones, let’s just say I have a new appreciation for my Brooks saddle. 🤪
74A818EB-0510-4BBC-AB73-AA1078FE202C.jpeg

Now that the Build Off is finished, I’ve started working on what might be the final piece of the Schwummit, upgrading the wheelset.
The bike has been running on a set of big-box wheels from a Huffy of some sort. To be honest, they’ve done a decent job. I usually ride on fairly smooth streets, but I occasionally beat the bike (and myself) up on the cobblestone streets of Savannah near River St, they have never given me any issues that I haven’t caused….
But, I’ve always wanted something better for this bike.
Enter @kingfish254 and @ind-chuckz. Kingfish was getting something else from Chuck, so he/we bundled in this set of Worksman alloys. They have a Shimano CB-E110 rear hub and a Worksman knock-out front.
Here’s how that looked when I got them.
099A0B1F-8BA6-48ED-8F56-3B1ACCEB2038.jpeg

I’ve got them broken down and cleaned, gonna add a little bling to them and reassemble. Stay tuned!

Now that the Build Off is finished, I’ve started working on what might be the final piece of the Schwummit, upgrading the wheelset.
The bike has been running on a set of big-box wheels from a Huffy of some sort. To be honest, they’ve done a decent job. I usually ride on fairly smooth streets, but I occasionally beat the bike (and myself) up on the cobblestone streets of Savannah near River St, they have never given me any issues that I haven’t caused….
Enter @kingfish254 and @ind-chuckz. Kingfish was getting something else from Chuck, so he/we bundled in this set of Worksman alloys. They have a Shimano CB-E110 rear hub and a Worksman knock-out front.
View attachment 209958
I’ve got them broken down and cleaned, gonna add a little bling to them and reassemble. Stay tuned!
KF, Ind Chuckz and Dr T. What kind of r&b super group are you cooking up?

😂

View attachment 209958
The stiffness of the ride that wheels with heavy gauge spokes tends to provide seems counterintuitive to me in regards to battling the harshness of cobblestones. The durability in that wheelset is no doubt unquestionable. YMMV, but I'd tend to build something up with DT Competition 2.0/1.8/2.0 double-butted with standard tension to mellow out the rough roads. My recent foray into building lightweight coaster brake cruiser wheelsets has been assisted by previous off-road experience where wheels built as described above can help mellow out the high frequency hits found on the trail. The Summit Schwinn Cruisers are such great bikes. I'll never sell mine!

But nobody has fatter spokes... I really like those rims, Doc! I ride the steel ones on the trike at work, and always thought an alloy set would be a sweet roll on pavement. How wide is that hoop?

But nobody has fatter spokes... I really like those rims, Doc! I ride the steel ones on the trike at work, and always thought an alloy set would be a sweet roll on pavement. How wide is that hoop?
DA9A4CA3-28EE-493B-9ABD-9BF2147EBBF9.jpeg

Latest posts

Back