Scramblin’

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since I’m building this bike up anyhow, figured I’d try to take a few pics along the way.

700C8CBA-0CBF-4550-AF6A-CA330244029B.jpeg

First order of business is to straighten the fork, as it’s been pushed back a little bit.
Since this bike is at work, I’ll build it when I have a few spare minutes at the end of my lunch break each day.

the goal is to do a ‘76-‘80 parts build, as a kid would have added, subtracted, and upgraded the bike through those years

So, Monday, time to straighten the fork. Fortunately for me, I have access to a hydraulic press.

3026EF0E-11F7-4E30-AA2E-1017FCC37358.jpeg

the first time I put the fork in the press, I neglected to put a bolt or hub between the dropouts. Which of course, caused the fork legs to kick out a bit. Found a quick solution to that-

27278EA2-6B83-4B3A-AB79-C67EF5061FB9.jpeg

After that, I put a bolt through the dropouts (as in the first pic) and repeated the process until the fork was straight

E51C6710-606D-40CC-82BB-ECFBEA558743.png

Last edited:
One of the main reasons for wanting to build a 20” was these wheels. A bit back I was looking through a ‘80 Schwinn bmx catalog that had colored spokes in it. I was talking to a buddy about how I wanted to build a wheel with some. About two weeks later he sends me a pic of this gold rear wheel asking if I want it. Then another few weeks later I found this front Ukai on the cheap. The wheels had been laying in wait.

BC33A8ED-73EA-4C4E-8E59-425F2B584E12.jpeg

The free coaster would have been a pretty trick item for ‘80. Too bad this frame doesn’t have a brake bridge.

barsand crank set up. Forgot to take a pic of the stem.
007364D3-2E53-45A0-AF57-2BB32BDA76A2.jpeg

got the bike mostly assembled today. I’ll get a pic tomorrow.

Is the Ukai going to stay blue? That hub:inlove:

Bridges? We don't need no stinking bridges!
unnamed.jpg

Pace made things like these in the early ninties, I think. Is that retro enough for your theme? I'm surprised I can not find a bolt on brake bridge product. I've seen people use plate steel clamped to the stays to fab one

Is the Ukai going to stay blue? That hub:inlove:

Bridges? We don't need no stinking bridges!
View attachment 144273
Pace made things like these in the early ninties, I think. Is that retro enough for your theme? I'm surprised I can not find a bolt on brake bridge product. I've seen people use plate steel clamped to the stays to fab one
The bolt on Canti mounts are sweet. About a decade plus tho outside of my aim.
Laguna did make a bolt on brake bridge, but I’m not holding my breath. I’ve got a solution, just need to dig it out.

The bolt on Canti mounts are sweet. About a decade plus tho outside of my aim.
Laguna did make a bolt on brake bridge, but I’m not holding my breath. I’ve got a solution, just need to dig it out.
There are repops of the Laguna bolt on brake bridges on eBay...I don't think they would work on a scrambler frame without surgery. Is your back up plan Weinmann (-style) brake adapters?

There are repops of the Laguna bolt on brake bridges on eBay...I don't think they would work on a scrambler frame without surgery. Is your back up plan Weinmann (-style) brake adapters?
Oh I didn’t know they repoped them. Not back up plan, but only plan-

C65FDC0E-79B0-446F-9AD6-17D723723CCE.jpeg

Have had it floating around for quite awhile. Stoked to finally use it!

I have never seen someone use a hydraulic press to straighten bent forks before now.
I have never seen wheels with multicolor spokes before now.
I am glad that this has been remedied... because these new discoveries are both equally awesome!

This Schwinn Crambler sorry, Scrambler is looking great so far! What's your plan for the paint? Leave it as is, or do something as funky as the wheels it sports?

I have never seen someone use a hydraulic press to straighten bent forks before now.
I have never seen wheels with multicolor spokes before now.
I am glad that this has been remedied... because these new discoveries are both equally awesome!

This Schwinn Crambler sorry, Scrambler is looking great so far! What's your plan for the paint? Leave it as is, or do something as funky as the wheels it sports?
Thanks!
As far as paint, original always. The goal is to have a build that looks like it was built through the late 70s into the early 80s as used and was thrown in a shed and forgotten about.

As it sits now I’ve been riding it around the warehouse and have been enjoying it just fine brakeless. I honestly kinda forgot I did a build thread on it. I think I may just leave it brakeless and call it done as I’m happy with it!

that's pretty much what I rode in the late seventies, 'cept it was a Huffy. We thought we were cool on our muscle bikes until the really cool kids started riding bmx bikes. Looks great.

Latest posts

Back