Scrap pile rescue

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The train station that I work out of is doing its annual clearout if the bike parking areas - Bikes are marked with tape. And if the tape isn't removed within X amout of time, the bike gets scrapped.
On my way home Thursday I went by the scrap pile, and something interesting caught my eye. I took a day to think it over, as taking it is technically theft. Then on Friday I decided that it was justifiable, and swiped it in the cover of darkness.

Crescent Världsmästercyklan (the world champion bike)

Fillet brazed frame by the looks of it

With mustache bars

Frame mounted pump and carrying handle

Art deco-ish trim on the front fender

Matching rear cateye

Space-age/nuclear chainring

Cool frame graphics

I'm usually not a thief in the night. And I need another project like a hole in the head. But I felt that this bike deserved a better fate than being melted down and recycled (pun not intended).

"That's a really cool bike" was just what I thought, when I spotted it.
The frame seems to be well made. And I like the patina. So I'm thinking of giving it a citric acid bath to get rid of the rust, and either giving it a light clear coat or a BLO treatment to prevent further rusting.
Other than the bars, most of the chrome/aluminium parts are in decent-ish shape. So I should be able to shine them up, and make them pop/contrast against the frame.
Also, the bb and headset seem to be salvageable. They're a bit tight, but there is no play in them. So a good clean n' grease job should get them in order.
One thing that daunts me, though, is that front drum brake hub. I'm a decent "home mechanic", but I've never worked on something like that before.

Drum brakes gotta be relatively easy depending on condition and parts available, now hub gears are a different kettle of fish, took an old one apart once, planetary cogs, shims and bits everywhere that was my first and last go at working on those, I have some new drum brakes that I look at and simple enough

I think it might be old by the headset with it’s external adjusting clamp and by the gooseneck, assuming it’s an original stem. These headsets can be hard to work on, adjusting the bearing play and getting the gooseneck tight in the headset is tricky. If the cups are worn out forget it as I have never been able to find replacements. I’ve seen people use modern parts and build these headsets upside down with the fork race at the top but it really doesn’t work well like that.

Some interesting details on the bike.

I think it might be old by the headset with it’s external adjusting clamp and by the gooseneck, assuming it’s an original stem. These headsets can be hard to work on, adjusting the bearing play and getting the gooseneck tight in the headset is tricky. If the cups are worn out forget it as I have never been able to find replacements. I’ve seen people use modern parts and build these headsets upside down with the fork race at the top but it really doesn’t work well like that.
From what I've found on google I guesstimate it to be an early to mid 50's model.
Other than feeling, and sounding dry the headset seems to be okay. So hopefully all it needs is a good cleaning and some fresh grease. If not I'll have to work something out in the creative workshop...

From what I've found on google I guesstimate it to be an early to mid 50's model.
Other than feeling, and sounding dry the headset seems to be okay. So hopefully all it needs is a good cleaning and some fresh grease. If not I'll have to work something out in the creative workshop...
If it’s all there and the races aren’t brindled or pitted from vibration putting dents in the races it will be ok. One of mine with the same type of headset from the 1920s was badly brindled. I tried to ream out the head tube with my reamer facing tool to accept modern cups but the steel was hard and brittle. I sent it to a frame maker and he couldn’t ream it either so a new head tube was installed. Mine was really pitted. The handle for lifting it up stairs is something I’ve never seen. It looks like it has an aftermarket rear wheel lock? My other bike with the same headset just needed new bearings and grease, probably grease would have been enough.

The handle is commonly seen on old city/commuter bikes around here. Most mid-century appartment buildings have a space for bikes in the basement. And a lot of people living in the suburbs ride their bike to the nearest station, bring it on the train, and ride to their workplace. So before there were lifts and escalators everywhere it was a very useful feature.
The lock is of much newer vintage. It's still locked. But it's a pos, so a kick in the right place, or 30 seconds spent with a hacksaw should get it opened.

"That's a really cool bike" was just what I thought, when I spotted it.
The frame seems to be well made. And I like the patina. So I'm thinking of giving it a citric acid bath to get rid of the rust, and either giving it a light clear coat or a BLO treatment to prevent further rusting.
Other than the bars, most of the chrome/aluminium parts are in decent-ish shape. So I should be able to shine them up, and make them pop/contrast against the frame.
Also, the bb and headset seem to be salvageable. They're a bit tight, but there is no play in them. So a good clean n' grease job should get them in order.
One thing that daunts me, though, is that front drum brake hub. I'm a decent "home mechanic", but I've never worked on something like that before.
If it's like a Schwinn Atom type brake, they are pretty straight forward... If any doubts, you could always go to you tube and look up the disassembly procedures and go from their... Good luck and take your time... Razin...

If it’s all there and the races aren’t brindled or pitted from vibration putting dents in the races it will be ok. One of mine with the same type of headset from the 1920s was badly brindled. I tried to ream out the head tube with my reamer facing tool to accept modern cups but the steel was hard and brittle. I sent it to a frame maker and he couldn’t ream it either so a new head tube was installed. Mine was really pitted. The handle for lifting it up stairs is something I’ve never seen. It looks like it has an aftermarket rear wheel lock? My other bike with the same headset just needed new bearings and grease, probably grease would have been enough.
So that's what that little handle on the seat post down tube is for... I was wondering about that... Thanks for sharing.... RaToN.... Razin.....

Great looking bicycle. Keep us posted on your progress. I love the front fender detail, the chainguard is great, and the front sprocket is very good also. This bike deserves a rebuild and some more miles put on it.

Latest posts

Back