Scrapyard Mule 2.0

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
scrapyardMuleRRBO2020.jpg

Scrapyard Mule

This a continuation of modifications to the build I had in last summer's Build Off. I originally had every intention of posting documentation of how this went along, as it went along, but time got away from me. With all the images I had I figured I'd go ahead and post after the fact. What follows are changes that came in fits and starts after the Build Off ended. 50% more Mule / 20% more scrap, this turned into quite the contraption. Hoping to use what I learned in a future build.

Adjustable Head Tube Angle

The handling I ended up with originally was a disappointment. The front dropouts gave me some room to experiment but I wanted a way to adjust the head tube angle too.

01_headTubeAngleAdjustment.jpg

02_headTubeAngleAdjustment.jpg

03_headTubeAngleAdjustment.jpg

04_headTubeAngleAdjustment.jpg

05_headTubeAngleAdjustment.jpg

06_headTubeAngleAdjustment.jpg

07_headTubeAngleAdjustment.jpg

Adjustable Head Tube Angle (continued)

The bottom bracket needed to be repositioned also. Distance was a little too close between the seat and crank. Moved the BB 4" forward before adding the head tube adjustment bolt plate.

01_4inchStretch.jpg

02_4inchStretch.jpg

03_adjustPlate.jpg

04_adjustPlateReverse.jpg

05_adjustmentDetail.jpg

06_headtubeBack.jpg

07_headtubeForward.jpg

Modified the front dropouts to allow adjustment up and down the fork legs.

08_modifiedDropouts.jpg

Testing Head Tube Angle and Trail

I ran a bunch of ride tests changing the head tube angle and trail. Don't understand why but, the ride was most stable with a negative trail. Maybe because of the lower head tube height, close to the height of the front axle?

I tired keeping the head tube at as shallow an angle as possible. These three configurations were all ridable. I liked the look of the first one but the last proved to be most solid and comfortable.

Approx. 42.5° head tube angle, -1.5" trail
09_42DOT5headAngle.jpg

Approx. 47° head tube angle, -1.75" trail
10_47headAngle.jpg

Approx. 51° head tube angle, -2.625" trail
11_51headAngle.jpg

Second Bottom Bracket Position Adjustment

Seemed that the 4 inch stretch forward was a little too much. Also needed more room between the bottom bracket and head tube. Moved the BB down an inch and back an inch.

Before Repositioning

01_preREV01.jpg

02_preREV02.jpg

After Repositioning

03_postREV01.jpg

04_postREV02.jpg

The original handlebars received a new bend so they'd be reachable with the new head tube angle.

05_handlebarBends.jpg

06_sideview.jpg

Seat Adjustment

Some of the designs that I'm using this as a test bed for look better with a seat position a little higher and more forward. This is a seat position adapter made from a handlebar extension.

01_modSeatStem.jpg

02_stem.jpg

03_stemWithSeat.jpg

04_sideview.jpg

Tried to keep the distance from the middle of the seat to the crank center the same in the lower and upper seat positions. Missed the mark a little but it's close enough to prove out the ergonomics.

05_seatPositionShow.jpg

Front Suspension

Satisfied with the seat / crank / rake / trail, etc. it was time to address the front fork and dropouts. I wanted to add some type of suspension. The design for this came from researching different custom motorcycle designs. The general idea is that a lever that connects the linkage to the front wheel also allows rotation on the steering axis. Easier to understand in pictures than to try to explain.

This is a "tool" I made to locate the attachment point between the frame mounted shock and fork linkage. Basically just tubing that slips into the head tube and bolt that slips into the tubing.

01_suspensionLocator.jpg

This shows the lever that the "tool" locates and the frame pivot point for the lever.

02_leverInProcess.jpg

Lever welded and shock linkage attached.

03_leverWelded.jpg

Pieces and parts for the frame shock and shock mount. The shock is a cut off end from a mountain bike fork.

04_shockPiecesParts.jpg

I bent and trimmed the fork legs.

05_modifiedForkLegs.jpg

Overview shots of modified fork legs, shock and lever.

06_shockLeverDetail.jpg

07_sideview.jpg

Trouble Shooting

The original set-up worked but had issues. When turning, the front wheel would lean toward the opposite side of the turn direction. First thought was that the lever wasn't mounted ridged enough to the frame and was allowing the linkage to shift. Others problems with the lever included too small of a rotation diameter at the steering axis mounting point and an off center position from the steering axis. Time for a new lever and frame mount point.

02_revLeverArm.jpg

03_revLever01.jpg

04_revLever02.jpg

05_revLeverMount01.jpg

06_revLeverMount02.jpg

Here is a before and after looking down the head tube. Locating tool failed the first time but worked pretty good second time around.

01_missedByMile.jpg

10_aligned.jpg

Overview showing shock linkage.

08_overview02.jpg

Better But...

Still too much front wheel movement side to side while turning. First modification added pivot levers at the top of the fork legs.

01_additionalPivotArmCircled.jpg

Getting better but still not good enough. Next design tried to strengthen the linkage and provide stronger upper pivot points. Thought I had an overall shot of the finished linkage but I don't. These show how only the linkage sides attached and, overall shots of the finished linkage itself.

02_modifiedArm01.jpg

03_modifiedArm02.jpg

04_armComplete.jpg

05_armComplete.jpg

Back to the Drawing Board

This design ended up being the winner. I'm pretty sure any wheel movement at this point can be attributed to play in the linkage attachments. On a less Frankenstein of a build application I'll be able to address that. I ended up strengthening the top linkage by making an "H" shaped lever that securely attaches to the fork legs and frame lever. I also added a second heim joint to smooth out the suspension movement and turning.

01_finalTopPivotArm.jpg

02_finalTopPivotArm.jpg

Even better alignment to the turning axis too.

03_alignment.jpg

04_suspensionFinal.jpg

05_supensionFinalReverse.jpg

07_sideview.jpg

06_reverseSideview.jpg

Testing Head Tube Angle and Trail

I ran a bunch of ride tests changing the head tube angle and trail. Don't understand why but, the ride was most stable with a negative trail. Maybe because of the lower head tube height, close to the height of the front axle?

I tired keeping the head tube at as shallow an angle as possible. These three configurations were all ridable. I liked the look of the first one but the last proved to be most solid and comfortable.

Approx. 42.5° head tube angle, -1.5" trail
View attachment 145448

Approx. 47° head tube angle, -1.75" trail
View attachment 145449

Approx. 51° head tube angle, -2.625" trail
View attachment 145450
Thanks for providing data :thumbsup: Cool stuff, including the rake adjuster. Perhaps make it quicker to change for looks and parking. Not clear if it's a feature you intend keep.

I am immensely impressed with the overingeneered suspension. I also love the headtube adjustment option.
I think the original bike, as it was in the build off (got my vote) had really beautiful straight lines.
The redesigned version is pretty awesome too, from a fabricating point of view, but I liked the previous look better.
But I do realize that rideability is more important unless it is supposed to stay a showpiece only.

Great build! I looked at it all, but it's like a chemistry class I had a few years ago, I had no idea what was going on, just nodded my approval as the class went on and prayed I didn't get asked any questions.

I agree with Toro. This thing is incredible. The first version was a beautiful artistic statement, this one is a beautiful engineering statement. I understand both, but the first was speaking my language

Thanks for providing data :thumbsup: Cool stuff, including the rake adjuster. Perhaps make it quicker to change for looks and parking. Not clear if it's a feature you intend keep.

My only thinking with the adjustable rake was to find the best angle for handling. But, that is an interesting thought.

I am immensely impressed with the overingeneered suspension. I also love the headtube adjustment option.
I think the original bike, as it was in the build off (got my vote) had really beautiful straight lines.
The redesigned version is pretty awesome too, from a fabricating point of view, but I liked the previous look better.
But I do realize that rideability is more important unless it is supposed to stay a showpiece only.

I agree with Toro. This thing is incredible. The first version was a beautiful artistic statement, this one is a beautiful engineering statement. I understand both, but the first was speaking my language

Thank you. I agree regarding the look of the original version. Well, except for those monster front dropouts anyway! From the start I really wanted to use this as a testbed to sort out riding position and suspension ideas I wasn't confident in. I plan to hopefully use the lessons learned in later designs.

This example is still in the rough stage but shows a possible direction. Basically it takes styling ques from a Spaceliner and tries to apply them the Scrapyard Mule stretch cruiser "platform".

spacelinerBBQd_12152020.jpg

I figured this was a continuation of the first, your design looks like a happy medium between 1 and 2. Awesome process to follow, thanks for bringing us along

Latest posts

Back