Scratch build : "Experiment 001"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, here's my entry for this winters build off. I've already started building but forgot to create the thread sorry :/

My goal here is just to ry out new techniques and new styles I haven't already messed with. I apologize in advance as the bike will surely not be finished by the end date because I have to balance school and personal projects.
It all begun late december when I got the first parts : A set of 26" rims, 80 and 100mm. I started the build at the beginning of january.

gmGBPI6.jpg

I then did a basic skecth of what I wanted the bike to look like.

Di7COaw.jpg

Before building I knew I wanted to paint something inside the barrel.

03w13Io.jpg

Rear rim primed

03w13Io.jpg

I then made a stencil and srayed on the logo

XfbKs4C.jpg

At least it was time to build the wheels.

2RUo8X7.jpg

I bought an old felt fork from a friend that's gonna get shortened.

PQZiPq4.jpg

I made a lifesize model on the only piece of cardboard I had that was big enough.

MBCQiG6.jpg

My friends got me a tube kinker for my birthday. My dad doesn't want it to stay in the garage so I keep it in the shed most of the time.

NkACpV8.jpg

Making the first bends, wich I ...... up a lot.

w4vNoki.jpg

First weld

wR6avSD.jpg

Frame taking shape. had a lot of trouble getting good cuts with my .... angle grinder

FA00XTO.jpg

Frame tacked up and almost true. I kept this buimd personnal by using my bmx I had in middle school as a parts donor. Here we habe the bb and headtube in place.

Kg7wLbL.jpg

I messed up the mesurments for the rear triangle and I didn't wand to drill through my awful welds so I ended up lowering the rear triangle to an almond shape.
First initial bend

42x5VKo.jpg

Cut and welded almond

dWUKyEi.jpg

Both almonds completed

1VfUIPu.jpg

Further cutting up my BMX to get the rear dropouts. I felt awful cutting up my old bike but that's the way it goes I guess.

6nWkbAx.jpg

Frame assembled

AfbtW6C.jpg

It was now time for some rattlecan primer and test build. I will choose paint later on, also grind down all the excess metal in some areas. I also need to order a new chainring and get bearings for the whole bike. I cut up the forks and added the brooks saddle I had laying around. The tires are 26x3 and 2.35 strectched up on the rims.

MkOuy6Y.jpg

I drilled the frame for internal routing and started removing the paint on the side of the rim. I respaced the nexus hub for the 100mm rim to clear.

L7lPO43.jpg

Missing the grips and saddle at the moment.

3KyY9tO.jpg

SNOW!!! It hasn't snowed here for at least 5 years!

qrgkxc9.jpg

There you have the log for the past two months. What's happening next? Missing parts mostly. I will strip down the frame, correct all of the mistakes I've made, smoothout all the welds, prep and paint when money comes by.

Thank you for reading, watch for updates, will post them in this thread!

Those bends could not have been easy with the hydraulic bender you used! Really like the design.

Those bends could not have been easy with the hydraulic bender you used! Really like the design.

It was my first time bending tubes. I went trough 4 meters of tubing before having even a decent bend. And up close it stills looks awful.

Nice work! Your design and flow of the whole bike work well together. And fatta is always mo betta!

Sweet lines to this.
What is that you are using for handlebars? Did you weld that up?

Hey everybody, this is just a message to say I have to give up this build off. I need some time off for personal reasons and will not have time/faith to finish the bike. I'll probably come back to it at some point but for right now I'm leaving it like this. I want to says sorry to all of you who took interest in this bike. I'll leave the thread up for now. Thank you for reading and good luck to all the builders.

Latest posts

Back