Bamboozle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tensioner showed up along with the fake fur fabric. The fur might be over the top but I'll give it a try on covering the banana seats and seat backs.

26 Aug tensioner.jpg

I got a whole lot done this morning. I looked on the web on how to upholster a banana seat and found a vid using the same cheap seats I have! So that saved me hours right there. Instead of spray glue, I used two sided tape to hold things while they went together.
27 Aug1.jpg
I just covered the fronts of the back rests to avoid problems getting them mounted.
27 Aug5.jpg

27 Aug2.jpg
27 Aug4.jpg

27 Aug6.jpg

The rear stand won't work with the tensioner, not enough threads on the axle. The nuts are alloy, I'm still trying to find steel 10mm x 1.0 nuts to fit the Sram hub. I use two on each side because they strip out so easily. The tensioner isn't set to the right spot. I'll see if I can adjust it, it has slots to fit the frame one way only.
27 Aug7.jpg

27 Aug8.jpg

I also finished removing the v brake bosses and setting up the front end.

27 Aug9.jpg

I have to come up with a kickstand again and mount the seats. Almost there!

27 Aug10.jpg

The kickstand from earlier was the only thing that would work. The tensioner was adjustable, it just needed to be taken apart and reset. The 10 feet of chain still hangs a little but works ok. I also added the pedal straps.
28 Aug stand.jpg

I mounted the seats and just need to cut some bar for the struts under the seat and to the rear. I've got just enough bar leftover. The bike looks strange with the furry seats but it started out looking strange so it's going to be that way. I still need something to fill out the rear.

29 Aug seats.jpg

While measuring the supports I checked to see how much empty space was behind the seat. 28", the same length as the board on Scurf. It's 10" wide so it wasn't that easy to kick, and I can get a 6" wide board for Scurf. I laid it on there to get an idea of how it would look. An old brace I made up last year that just happened fit the frame perfectly. The board will sit level a few inches back from where it is now.

30 Aug board.jpg

I still need something to fill out the rear.

The scurfboard is just the right "junk in the trunk" you needed!!
It really looks cool there! I kinda like it angled down like that.

I adjusted everything so far. Brakes are good. I adjusted the tensioner again to get more slack out of the chain.

31 Aug brakes.jpg

I lashed down the cables with twine.

31 Aug lashing.jpg

I tightened up all the seat bolts and it's good. The supports from the rear axle to the sissy bars should be enough for lateral support so I'll forego the bottom braces I had planned.

31 Aug seat mount.jpg

The support bars are all measured for cutting and holes punched ready to drill out. I thought a 6 foot work bench would be enough, but this is about 86" long.

31 Aug bench.jpg

The bar wasn't thick enough for the job, so I went and bought 20' of thicker bar. They cut it up so it would fit in the car. 7 dollars! I'll be cutting and drilling holes yet again. Instead of using the rear axle for mounts, I may use the fender mounts on the frame instead.

I think the fur on the seats looks like dog hair. I gave it a week to get used to, but I'm going back to the black vinyl.
Then, some touch up paint, reassembly and a headlight, it's done!

02 Sep bar.jpg

The double lights PAIRS well with the double nanners
I'm really glad you pulled the Cousin It seat covers and stuck with the black vinyl. It was a bit funky and took away from the cool bambaux frame.

The stuff was shedding to boot. There's dog hair all over the place. Maybe I can roll some up to look like a wolf tail. I'll need two of them.
I spent the morning working on it. The braces are good, but nothing can bolt to the rear axle, not enough threads, so the frame mounts work for all the braces. I lowered the board by slanting the back brace backward and ran the front of the board right up against the seat. I think this will be the final configuration. It still needs a brace under the center of the board.

3 Sep mock.jpg

The stuff was shedding to boot. There's dog hair all over the place. Maybe I can roll some up to look like a wolf tail. I'll need two of them.
I spent the morning working on it. The braces are good, but nothing can bolt to the rear axle, not enough threads, so the frame mounts work for all the braces. I lowered the board by slanting the back brace backward and ran the front of the board right up against the seat. I think this will be the final configuration. It still needs a brace under the center of the board.

View attachment 207561
I'm loving everything about this build.

I just finished it up. Once I tightened up everything it's solid. I took it for a roll in the shop as we are still getting deluged from the Typhoon. I just needed to add some air and adjust the handlebars so my knees don't hit them. I'll be gone all day tomorrow, but hopefully will get a break in the rain to get some final pics and a ride vid done. I weighed it, 22.8 kilos, 50 lbs.

4 Sep done.jpg

This all just flows together so well.

Latest posts

Back