Scurf

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
This is a new build using parts from other builds. This will be along the lines of a scooter, but with a longboard, like a street surfboard. The Schwinn Shuffle is along those lines but is just a kick bike. This will have a large footing area.
1654150401250.png

I laid out some parts. New 26" chrome fork. The frame is one of those heavy frames used for sidecars and working carts over here in the Philippines. It's heavy steel, so welding shouldn't be a problem. I'm hoping to use just the metal in the frame to complete the scoot. 26" wheel in front, 20" in rear.
June 2 Scurf.jpg

The frame will get chopped at the front and rear with the leftovers filling in the scooter frame. Hopefully.
June 2 Scurf - Copy.jpg

I feel like you're just 'scratching the Scurf-ace' of this build... :wondering: :bigsmile:

I did a quick layout to get an idea of the length. I thought it would be shorter than the previous try, but it still comes out to 78 inches without trying to stretch it out. That's leaving 2 inches of space between the front tire 26", and board 28", 2" more inches between the board and rear tire 20".

The welder guys are coming next week to put a steel roof on my (wife's) new veranda. I hope to get it laid out and tacked together.

veranda done.jpg

I found a use for the engineering anomaly. Never throw anything away. This 20" BMX fork will work well for the rear, it's heavy enough by itself, won't need extra support. And it matches the chrome on the front fork.

1 Jun fork.jpg

The board may have to be trimmed down after all, the angle of the rear fork won't mesh with the end of the board. I'm going for a board height of 4 inches.
Jun 3 board angle.jpg

Since the front rim is silver, I may use a heavy spoked rear wheel (minus the purple tire) on the rear. Or just re-lace the front wheel to a matching black rim. Or better yet, use my new sealed bearing gold hubs and lace up a matching set.

gold hubs - Copy.jpg

I laced up the front wheel using gold spokes I had saved from my ORBO build Second Helping. I'm going to order some more gold spokes for the rear 20".
Jun 3 gold spokes.jpg

I decided to use a skinnier tire on the front, Rolling resistance is the main factor, and it matches the rear 1.75 tire. The 2.125 is fairly smooth and might be used instead later. I also noticed that this has the opposite wheelset from my build in class 1, Sleazy Rider. Same rims and tires, just reversed.
Jun 3 sleazy.jpg

I'm ready to chop this frame up. I laid everything out, using the edge of the workbench as ground level and guessed as to where everything should be. I want to keep the angle of the headtube as it is here, maybe a little steeper.
5 Jun scurf layout.jpg

So, the two tubes on the frame will get cut at an angle to fit the down tube or tubes. The downtube needs to be about 28". Then they will attach to the frame at the front of the board. I measured and it was 76 inches long, so I shortened it to 68 inches by moving the board and rear wheel forward, closer to the front tire. The front of the board can get notched to fit the down tube/s like this:
1654419951454.png

It will get welded up, then the board gets trimmed to fit.

I made the first cuts and laid it out. Now it should all make sense. :39:
It's about 6 feet long as laid out.
7 Jun 22 layout.jpg

1. The head tube part will get ground down to mate up with the down tube.
2. The rest of the frame will get cut away from what will now be the down tube/tubes. The down tube branches into 2 tubes and takes a forward bend. It was the top tube and seat stays of the old bike frame. I may have a piece of metal welded in for extra support at the bottom.
3. Once those parts are clamped into position, the excess frame tubing will make up the bottom of the frame, 2 tubes running back to connect to the rear fork.
4. I'll make up wooden braces, and if it all clamps together well, it'll get welded up all at one sitting. Other wise, the front will followed later by the rest.
5. The board gets sized up and trimmed to fit.
6. Brakes go on and it's tested.
7. Paint and everything else.

Simple as that!

Last edited:
I did the frame chop and laid it out. I marked out where 3 1/2" will be to give a good idea of how it will look. The board mounted will then be right at 4". I don't see using the leftover frame for the bottom. I have a good length of heavy flat bar that will fill in the 28" bottom section, keeping the length at 6'.
The welder's aren't coming to work on the veranda this week, so I have more time to get the frame ready for welding up.
9 Jun layout.jpg

Spokes finally showed up and both wheels have hubs with sealed bearings. I had to lace the 20" 4 cross because I couldn't find shorter spokes. Going to catch a movie with the wife today, it's been two years since we went out to a movie. On the way, I'll drop the wheels for truing and pick them up on the way home.

15 Jun scurf wheels.jpg

I'm thinking a springer might be good on this. I can adjust the height by tightening the springs to lower the front. The locknuts on top shown in the red circle will pull the wheel up when tightened.
splat mock 1.jpg

I'll need another 26" fork. The wife is asking where are all the forks I've bought in the last three months. Well, a few got chopped up and weren't useable and got stashed under the workbench but that's not what I tell her. I go into a lengthy explanation about angles and ratios and pull out frames and wheels until her eyes glaze over and she says "Oh I see".

Got my wheels trued and picked up a new chrome fork and some handle grips. They aren't as gold as I thought so they may or may not be used. At the bike shop my wife pointed at them and said "Do you want those? They're gold like the wheels." Of course I said yes. Then she kept going. "How about that red set?" I said ok. "The silver ones look nice too. Want them too? OK! I'll be taking her to the movies again next week!

I'm going with the bigger front tire because it will look better with the springer, and has a smooth tread.
16 Jun bling.jpg

This is such a cool and fun build! Wish @KOTA would drop by and see it. He built a few of these scooters.
Love watching the engineering you're having to work through.

I did a quick layout to get an idea of the length. I thought it would be shorter than the previous try, but it still comes out to 78 inches without trying to stretch it out. That's leaving 2 inches of space between the front tire 26", and board 28", 2" more inches between the board and rear tire 20".

The welder guys are coming next week to put a steel roof on my (wife's) new veranda. I hope to get it laid out and tacked together.

View attachment 195440

MrsCat has a beatiful veranda by the way!

Just had the front welded up. I think he signed his name to it.
22 Jun 22 Frame.jpg

Now I set it up and check all the angles and align the bars for the bottom of the frame. Once those are welded in, then I set the rear up for welding. One step at a time to minimize "anomalies".

I remeasured again and cut the flat bar for the bottom of the frame. Now I will slot the bottom of the downtubes and insert the flat bars, and clamp them for welding.
25 Jun bottom cut.jpg

I like how the welds on the head tube look almost "store bought". I'll clean them up and they might be even better looking. I'm considering what color the frame should be to show off the gold wheels. Metallic blue?
I picked a pair of big handlebars at the bike shop. They might go better than the big half moon bars.

The next step is now done. The welder didn't have his grinder to clean up the welds, but there is more to come later, so all that will get done. I have to set the rear fork with some clamps after I get the right height to the frame. I'll cut some crossmembers that can get welded in also.

frame 28 Jun 22.jpg

I haven’t been following this build, but now it’s really starting to interest me.

I picked up this aluminum BMX frame and it’s too small for me. But I think it could make a pretty cool Adult size scooter.

I’ve never been able to switch ride a skateboard. I can ride regular but I can’t ride goofy or mongo at all.

With a scooter like this I might just be able to train myself to ride switch.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back