Scurf

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bamboo placemats popped into my head too. Don't they also make bamboo mats for floors in a similar way.
As you pointed out, you need to make sure whatever you do is secure and not slippery.
I like @MattiThundrrr 's idea of a surf style vintage stripe. You could do that with selective taping off and staining. It would also keep things from being to matchy to the point that they become monochromatic. Another option for the striping could be to find some antislip stair tread tape.

You could even do a offset stripe like a Schwinn nanner with an S for Scurf

1660063157703.png

I never tried that lucid grip but I did lots of custom decks using colored aquarium sand, which is really artificial sand made like expanded glass. It comes in different colors.

I would embed that in some heavy coats of clear gloss acrylic paint and it made terrific grip. I did some boards like sand paintings, and some just had an overall coat of grip over wood grain.

If you do it like that, you can make any design you want. Tape it out on the board, spray paint, sprinkle the grip**, remove the tape.

**Some people say a salt shaker works really well for this but I never tried that

The other trick I used was to get some very course garnet sandpaper that was not waterproof and soak it until the garnets fell off. You have an arrangement of light to dark purple crystals that make excellent heavy duty grip.

High quality stick on sanding discs work too.

I've got a roll of black nonskid that came with the board that can be cut up into stripes or a design. With my skills, a few stripes may do the trick.
10 Aug nonskid.jpg

10 Aug stripes.jpg

I lashed on the fake bamboo to the kick stand. I picked up more clear coat to finish it and getting close to done.

10 Aug stand.jpg

I used this as an idea for the board.
11 Aug bw stripes.jpg

I like the vinyl cover for my bench, the reverse side is like graph paper with 1 inch squares. I'm able to line up stuff by the squares. That's what I did for the board nonskid.

11 Aug tracing.jpg

I made the cutouts without much problem.

11 Aug cutouts.jpg

After a good sanding the nonskid adhered well.
It's done except for a few minor things.

11 Aug done.jpg

Thanks! If it's not raining heavily again, I'll take a test ride tomorrow.

I have plenty of time being retired fulltime. As for energy some days are two nappers.

Oh yeah! That looks great

I made some small adjustments then squared away the shop. A family member from Singapore is visiting and will do a video blog thing on my bike works. After I spent a couple hours getting the shop presentable, it was too hot for a test ride on Scurf. It's like a steam bath outside. I'll give it another try tomorrow morning. The wife has to help get the thing up the steps, it's 76" long and weighs 41 pounds.
12 Aug 22 squared away.jpg

That one rear brake probably won't be enough to stop the thing, but that's what the big bell is for, while I yell "Get out of the way!" Maybe I can sneak in this race, just a hundred miles north of here.

It's still raining, but I should get in a ride soon.
13 Aug rain.jpg

I felt like I was leaning forward and stretching out with the BMX bars, so I tried the big moon bars again. I rolled around the shop and it rides much better. It's all done except for a test ride.

13 Aug bars2.jpg

The film crew was out today for an interview and wanted to take some pics out in the street. They were amazed at how much these bikes weigh. I took advantage of the free help and did a test on the Scurf before the rain started back in. It did fine, I'm happy with it. All I need now is some sun for some photos.

Latest posts

Back