Sears Freightliner Klunk

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alright, what the heck. Waiting on parts for the cycle truck. So I decided to start on this. I think will have enough time. I had the spaceliner frame lying around. I stared at it an awful lot. Then it hit me……bam. Slice and dice here, add some gussets here and there. Throw on a sweet multispeed rear amd campagnolo crank set. SR Mongoose MTB dual mount stem. And lastly, another Girvin I picked up. I wasnt sure if I wanted to build it as a chopper, but I think a mad max approach will work nicely with all the goodies. Probably get more riding that way as well.

ED4ECB39-8B40-4295-A1F9-E7F082690CF2.jpeg
AE33BB17-DB67-44DE-9DCE-232169E18019.jpeg
CAEB3136-77B1-4370-9AE7-C3266E6DECD3.jpeg

the splice was slugged with some solid steel spacers that slid into place when I aligned the seat stays. It went pretty straight forward. Welded the rear of the top set of dual tubes and will file to a nice cone shape.
362BF7D5-1D9B-49F5-99D6-867CC273DE07.jpeg
9EE2F965-1FEF-46A4-89A1-6738CE5E57FD.jpeg

I will be adding a lot of aluminum sheet metal to fill up some spaces. Not sure that it will get any real fancy paint, but will look the part.

A3CB51A2-9B53-439B-B18E-3F379BD5DB3D.jpg
CD2DEDAA-61AD-42C1-A1AB-698EEA472DC7.jpeg

Alright, what the heck. Waiting on parts for the cycle truck. So I decided to start on this. I think will have enough time. I had the spaceliner frame lying around. I stared at it an awful lot. Then it hit me……bam. Slice and dice here, add some gussets here and there. Throw on a sweet multispeed rear amd campagnolo crank set. SR Mongoose MTB dual mount stem. And lastly, another Girvin I picked up. I wasnt sure if I wanted to build it as a chopper, but I think a mad max approach will work nicely with all the goodies. Probably get more riding that way as well.

View attachment 178613View attachment 178614View attachment 178615

the splice was slugged with some solid steel spacers that slid into place when I aligned the seat stays. It went pretty straight forward. Welded the rear of the top set of dual tubes and will file to a nice cone shape.
View attachment 178616View attachment 178617

I will be adding a lot of aluminum sheet metal to fill up some spaces. Not sure that it will get any real fancy paint, but will look the part.

View attachment 178618View attachment 178619
Looking forward to seeing that Girvin on there!

Funny thing, I tried to give this frame away at a swap meet, it met its demise there when no one wanted it. :)

I hear ya. Im a bit of a purist, there are some things i wouldnt chop. Knowing in my mind, its going to be much cooler than collecting rust in a shed or field, gives me the piece of mind to sleep at night.
If it were chrome, I wouldn't have touched it. :)
I'm kind of the same way. On one hand, there are bikes that I would never want to cut up. I also hate removing original paint if it's in good condition and it's got some cool original scallops or whatever. But at the same time, there are some bikes that I wouldn't hesitate to modify how I see fit, if I feel the end result is worth it. And sometimes, I get a bike that would be perfect for a full-custom build, yet it's still in such a decent, untouched condition, that I can't decide whether I want to modify it or not.

I just hope you have a few ideas of how to beef up the frame. From what I understand, those aren't the sturdiest bikes out there. It'll still be cool to see all done-up the way you have in mind, though.

Teeling Irish Whiskey for me currently.
Grant's whisky for me - partly because they were shutting down a local supermarket and the price was good.

We have to keep our alcohol hidden, so that visiting family cannot find it. My coalshed workshop is a good place, because most people seem afraid to enter, like it was a 19th century steam-powered cotton mill...

Today, my Girvin fork showed up. Bought it in good faith with out being able to see in person. I had to go through it, clean and lube it. I also converted the suspension to a spring unit. I had a few other shocks that had blown hydraulics. They provided the collars for the spring retainers. I drilled them out to match the diameter of the main shaft of the shock. Then I assembled the front end and mounted it to frame.

00B7FC33-3408-4121-8A93-89E8E87C6EEB.jpeg
07BF3CBF-3C26-4FBB-912C-12C86707184E.jpeg

Then I threw on the BB and crank. Went with a 52 up front with the 5 speed cog. Now that I have it assembled, I will take it out for a bit and run it down and figure out where else I will be strengthening the frame. Big 2.3 tires fit nicely. Going to clearance the frame in the forward section of the chain stays. All in all, it’s as much of a Frankenstein bike like I had hoped.
BA1F8ED5-34FF-4BA5-B1F2-BDE8B35F9A72.jpeg
4516BCFF-99C0-4BB1-AC55-8DCAADB09A63.jpeg
84263B42-52EC-4518-8B4F-F3A9496C1CA5.jpeg
947FFA06-D599-4B9A-80B2-F752C1590B0E.jpeg
8967E502-F877-4BE0-A424-148C440BA441.jpeg

This is turning into a very cool looking bicycle. Love the work on the back stays and that Girvin fork is way cool. All my work on cantilever balloon tire bicycles and such from the past is regrease, replace worn out/broken stuff, new tires, a good scrub and then off to the races. However I do modify old Chicago Schwinn Varsity frames. I have brazed on water bottle holders put in, cable guides brazed on and complete repaints. I use the bikes for all rounder bikes both pavement and dirt. 700c x 40mm tires will just fit, Profile 180mm crank, Tektro 559 brakes, S & M handlebars on BMX quill stem. 10 speed cassette on Velo Orange rear 135mm hub. I use noseless saddles now and have a different one now from what is in this picture. The upper photo is a long ago photo, I've had the bike for 25 years. As you can see it is an IGH setup. This is a great riding bicycle, my favorite in the kennel.
IMG_0669.JPG
IMG_20190910_170002971.jpg

I miss the wonderful chain guards from the past. The French had some very nice looking chainguards from their past also. I'm sure there are other areas of the world that had the cool chainguards also. Wishing good looking adventuresome chainguards would make a comeback.

Latest posts

Back