Sears Freightliner Klunk

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took the Freightliner out for a 5 mile break in. Got a bout a mile in and needed to put the chain ring on the inside of crank arm for better chain position. The front end needed a few tweaks. Som minor modifications to cable will be needed when final assembly happens. Today I will be designing gussets and cutting them. I also put on a 2.125 rear tire and no frame modifications needed. Ordered the tires that will eventually go on here Wish I could find a cane creek thud buster or plunger post for this diameter
F9F6BF5D-F05C-407E-BDBB-99F372D8556A.jpeg
0D5B8D91-FBE4-4573-89CA-870745278EC7.jpeg

I think the mechanical complexity of a Thudbuster would work well with the Girvin. I know that Suntour makes one as well, or maybe you could find something in your post diameter from one of those weird pacific vendors
BodyFloat_Large_5dff1b64-faf3-46a1-b6e5-44978e00e638.jpg

This one is Skooterati or something, had several post sizes available, but the darned thing is over $300!

I think the mechanical complexity of a Thudbuster would work well with the Girvin. I know that Suntour makes one as well, or maybe you could find something in your post diameter from one of those weird pacific vendorsView attachment 179378
This one is Skooterati or something, had several post sizes available, but the darned thing is over $300!
I have a thud buster in my Kestrel, but I believe it is the smallest diameter they made. This frame has a 13/16 post.

Last edited:
Nice work on the Girvin fork mod. How do you like the action? Your gussets fit the flow of the frame well, too.

Off RaT Build oN~!

Nice work on the Girvin fork mod. How do you like the action? Your gussets fit the flow of the frame well, too.

Off RaT Build oN~!
Thank you. I love the action of these forks. The earlier ones are not as refined as the later models. But the conversion is pretty straight forward with the 1” unthreaded headset.

Took the Freightliner out on the front range trail system. Handled the single track very nicely. Hoping I can find suspension post that will fit the diameter or may consider putting in new seat post. I really dug the gear selection. I do not feel the need for a second front chainring.
B583995C-4182-4177-9A66-2A234DA0E39B.jpeg
08106F44-D8B6-4A74-9BC5-64128E867116.jpeg

Last edited:
Dang, that's one of the wildest forks I've ever seen. Only fitting, given that it's on one of the wildest klunkers I've ever seen! Looks great palepainter! What's the plan as far as paint goes?
Thanks. They are a fun fork. I’m not quite sure about paint yet. I’m going to throw a photo in procreate once I get done with the sheet metal work on it.

I think the mechanical complexity of a Thudbuster would work well with the Girvin. I know that Suntour makes one as well, or maybe you could find something in your post diameter from one of those weird pacific vendorsView attachment 179378
Just installed one of these Kinekt seatposts on my Rad 4. My wife has one on her Rad 3 step thru. These are terrific posts. Best suspension seat post I've ever used. They have spring ranges up to 300lbs. Smallest size is 27.2mm I believe.

Latest posts

Back