Sears middleweight

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool. -spiffy in a jiffy.

remove fenders, upgrade tires, lube n tune:

It had some pretty loose spokes that needed some help.

The headset is still loose and needs lubed and tightened. I also need to adjust the seat..... but for an hour or so of wrenching.... dang! Pretty close!!!

-I hope to take this guy on our first vintage ride of the season next Wednesday.

i have to cobble a chain together, but all things considered, looks darn near ready for a 7 mile cruise!!!
7E5812B0-6CD7-4B14-B631-6FCEA0B00D4F.jpeg

85DB0CDE-6C74-43DB-B039-982F5CB49331.jpeg

The front lens cover has some small screws holding it on. It's probably made of plastic so it's fragile.
Then the tank folds open from the front, it has a hinge in the rear. It may have screws holding it together. You may have to apply some liquid wrench or penetrating oil to the screws. There may be batteries in there, maybe corroded but might be from when the bike was new. D cells back then had a date code on them.

B721E213-EFFF-4233-88A3-4154F27AC52D.jpeg

7 mile cruise tonight with the Syracuse Classic Bikes club.

This thing rode flawlessly!!!

I was shocked, the bike is actually pretty comfortable. I wore my gel cycling shorts under my regular shorts and the seat was no bother at all.

Im not sure if it’s the tires or tune, but the bike is pretty fast. Rolls super smooth, no creaks or clanks and feels very stable at 12/15 mph.

so, super stoked on this beast: I may try a 15 mile ride on her later this summer!!!

The Murray numbers always confuse me after a lot of research. 502 designates it was sold by Sears. The year isn't stamped in the number. The numbers contain a stock number that can be found in their catalogs with the bike ads. I think that's how most people find the year. 463010 should be the stock number for yours.

Last edited:
If the Sears badging is original, then it is '64 or later, as that is when Sears switched from J.C.Higgins to Sears branding on their bicycles. I don't think they were called Flightliners anymore, just referred to as middleweights. The serial, in that era, doesn't provide year determination as far as I know.

Went and grabbed some catalog scans.

Christmas '63 (I would assume that these are '64 models, but in the pic it looks like it has J.C. Higgins script on the tank, which would be'63). Note the catalog #...matches yours...
sketch-1618495810057_1.jpg

Spring/Summer '64, catalog nor graphics match yours...
sketch-1618496218547_1.jpg

Christmas '64 ('65 model?), dead ringer for yours and matching catalog numbers...
sketch-1618496320430_1.jpg

Went and grabbed some catalog scans.

Christmas '63 (I would assume that these are '64 models, but in the pic it looks like it has J.C. Higgins script on the tank, which would be'63). Note the catalog #...matches yours...
View attachment 154388
Spring/Summer '64, catalog nor graphics match yours...
View attachment 154387
Christmas '64 ('65 model?), dead ringer for yours and matching catalog numbers...
View attachment 154389
Thanks for this! Looks like my bike was the 2 speed, but unfortunately, that rear hub is long gone!

It shows yours as a red band one speed, but that's a moot point. A yellow band Bendix 2 speed would be the wheel that would have come on the deluxe model. Either hub would be great to have.

Latest posts

Back