Sears & Roebuck Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sears_and_roebuck_bike_by_bobby883-d74a8m0.jpg
sears_and_roebuck_free_spirit_by_bobby883-d74a8mc.jpg
sears_and_roebuck_ted_willams_bike_by_bobby883-d74a8mw.jpg

I'm trying to find information on my Sears & Roebuck Ted Williams Free Spirit Bike. I am also trying to find out what the value of the bike is or how much someone would buy it for. As far as I know it is all original except for the chain, tires, and tubes that I had to replace when I first bought it.

Welcome to the forum! As far as I know, The Ted Williams bikes were made early-mid/late 70s. The red white & blue scheme on this would suggest it's around the '76 bicentennial. I had a similar TW at one time, it didn't have that unusual chainguard. By the chainring, I'd bet it's Huffy built. Value is tricky, it's not common, but not much demand for basic 70s bikes. -Adam

Welcome to the forum! As far as I know, The Ted Williams bikes were made early-mid/late 70s. The red white & blue scheme on this would suggest it's around the '76 bicentennial. I had a similar TW at one time, it didn't have that unusual chainguard. By the chainring, I'd bet it's Huffy built. Value is tricky, it's not common, but not much demand for basic 70s bikes. -Adam

Thank you for the info, anything I can get is helpful. for all I know the chain guard could have been put on by someone; but I would like to say that it came stock with the bike based from how it looks and how it is mounted to the bike.

I wouldn't sell it to a stranger for less than 150, just as a clean and nearly complete high-rise Huffy. It may be unusual as a Huffy, most "Free Spirit" bikes that I have seen were Murray. It even looks as though they stuck a Murray-like chain guard on there.o_O

the chain guard is very similar to a sears spyder bike
the spyder usually is chrome but same setup chain guard riveted to the fender.
as far as value it is a simple bike be it it is in good shape but not to desirable
however, the paint scheme is cool and there could be a market for a bike in this good shape with this paint design.
the downfall is it is either Murray or huffy,which makes it's value rather low.
as i always say when i determine a bicycles value is how much i would ask for it in my shop.
with that being said and all taken into consideration. i would value it at around 50-75 maybe 100 if someone absolutely must have it but more so on the lower end of 50 would be where i would place it's value
it is cool though don't get me wrong just not valuable as say a bicentennial sting ray
hope that helps
Sean

The chain guard is original as I had this bike when I was little guy. I remember the pin stripe detail on the guard.
Great condition though, looks good. I wish you were close to KY as I would like to see it.

Way late but FYI this is a 1973 Free Spirit Bike. It was part of the Ted Williams sports line at Sears. I got this one for Christmas 1973. You ever part with that bike let me know.

I'm trying to find information on my Sears & Roebuck Ted Williams Free Spirit Bike. I am also trying to find out what the value of the bike is or how much someone would buy it for. As far as I know it is all original except for the chain, tires, and tubes that I had to replace when I first bought it.

It's a boy's 1974 Spyder bike, Model No. 502.475080, made by Sears & Roebuck. I actually still had the owner's manual. I will attach scans of all pages if the system lets me. Hope it helps!

Attachments

• bicycle-manual--01.jpg
    bicycle-manual--01.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 117
  • bicycle-manual--02.jpg
    bicycle-manual--02.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 127
  • bicycle-manual--03.jpg
    bicycle-manual--03.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 110
  • bicycle-manual--04.jpg
    bicycle-manual--04.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 103
  • bicycle-manual--05.jpg
    bicycle-manual--05.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 116
  • bicycle-manual--06.jpg
    bicycle-manual--06.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 102
  • bicycle-manual--07.jpg
    bicycle-manual--07.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 122
  • bicycle-manual--08.jpg
    bicycle-manual--08.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 132
Sears never "made" bikes or any other items (just money). Sears was a retail sales company, not a manufacturer. They bought bikes from Murray, Styer, etc with the Sears names on them. JC Higgins, Ted Williams, Free Spirit, etc. The first 3 digits of the serial numbers were often a code for the supplier. 502 for Murray.

wishbookweb dot com has many of the sears catalogs in text searchable scans.

it's not in the 1974 catalog. there is a girls in the 1972 catalog.
Looks like they sold the model for a few years. 72-74, maybe more.

entry at bmx museum:
https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/sears/83919

7 year old thread. Sure hope the OP found out some info by now......

Nail biting suspense

Latest posts

Back