Sears Spyder

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New guy to the forum. I just bought this Spyder. Can anyone tell me the approximate year and would it be made by Murray ? I plan to clean it up and perform some maintenance. Not sure if it's worth putting a lot of money into a restoration. I am new to bikes, any suggestions on what I can do to make it more "correct" if I go that route ?

Attachments

• IMG_0027 (4).JPG
    IMG_0027 (4).JPG
    490 KB · Views: 604
  • FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 571
The paint looks a little nicer in the photos, but it's unlikely that I would paint it. The serial number is 50247720403836 if anyone can estimate the year.

Nice bike. I love the old Spyders! The seat is not original but everything else looks to be. Based on tires I am saying mid 1970s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murray build Spyders for Sears. The sprocket is accurate, although usually found on 5-speeds. Approximate year is '67 based on the paint, but that's a rough guess. You can't tell from the SerNo unforunately, the best way is to find an ad. The seat isn't correct, as that's a modern replacement. Finding a good correct seat could set you back a bit.

What are your plans with it? They aren't worth a lot, but I like bringing them back just to bring them back. That one wouldn't need a lot, a slick on the back, a seat if you felt inclined, maybe replace the decals. You could tear it down and really clean up that paint to make it pop. It's only original once.

Agreed, 67 or so is my guess as well. Great find. I love the condition of this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are your plans with it? They aren't worth a lot, but I like bringing them back just to bring them back. That one wouldn't need a lot, a slick on the back, a seat if you felt inclined, maybe replace the decals. You could tear it down and really clean up that paint to make it pop. It's only original once.

For now, just disassemble and clean it up. Will look for a seat, tires, and whatever else I can find to put on the side if I want to go further with it.

I could not find that catalog number in any of my references - 47720 would be the Sears part/ catalog item number of the bike - did find a 47772 as a 5 speed.
I'm pretty sure this bike left the factory as a multispeed model - hard to see in your photos, but.
1) any signs of washer markes where brakes may have been mounted ? Rear fender and brake bridge look to be the 'caliper brake' type, is the fork drilled for a brake ?
2) 5 speed chainring, you'd have to look and see if it's the narrower 3/32" ring, but odds are yes.
3) looks to be some wear marks on front of frame top tube where a shifter may have been at one point ? Also, are there marks on bars where brake levers might hvae been ?
4) stripes on seat tube - Sears had a habit of using number of stripes = speeds (24" spyder 5 speeds = 5 stripes, 10 have 10 stripes,etc - appears to be 5 stripes....
5) any sign it ever had a rear derailleur installed ? marks by axle nuts ?
6) rear rim is wrong - 36 spoke with small 'lip' on edge = modern / 90s replacment, so it's been swapped out
changed to a coaster sometime in it's life ?

The seat is wrong for sure, sissy bar looks right, a Persons type, circa 68-70 style, so dating concensus seems right on.
For my money, if the marks for brakes,etc seem present, I htink it was a 5 speed when new, will cost a few bucks to find pcs but worth the effort.
Can you post some closeup pics of the areas mentioned ? or describe findings and wear spots ?
NICE find for sure. Welcome to the club - warning, it's addicting.

ps: here is scan of the 68 Wishbook page - 47772 number. guessing makes yours a 67, lower no, but hard to know,sometimes just dif catalog No for the color (is on the 24" versions so guess for these as well ).
Also, note the catalog shows a 1 3/8 lightweight front, which I belive your photos show as well.

(ps: if you decide to part with her, or don;t want to track down missing pieces, lmk, might be interested in hunting down the odds and ends myself :) )

Thanks for the info Green Dragon. Since I brought it home, all that I have done is remove the front wheel and fender. I did notice that there is a "ghost mark" on the top tube about 3 inches long where there was probably a shifter. The rear wheel/hub is definitely newer. The front tire says Schwinn Fastback on it. I will look for the other signs but based upon what I have learned here, I am sure it was a five speed originally. Thanks for the help., I am more of a car guy, just getting into bikes so have a lot to learn.

Good eyes on the details GD. That ghost mark could be from a decal, because they single speeds put a decal there, but I think there is more evidence that shows it used to be a 5 speed. That specific shifter will be difficult to find. I've never seen a good one for sale, but you could go with a Shimano 5-speed click shift if you weren't too set on setting it back to actual factory parts.

For now, I will be happy to get close to factory parts. What would the correct shifter be for it ?
If anyone has any other suggestions on what I should get - brakes/rear wheel/hub, seat, etc. let me know.

I may be able to build you a correct rear wheel. I'll have to see if I have the spokes. But you just need a square 28h rim and Shimano 333 rear freewheel hub. I have them both. I might have the rear spoke protector, which is, I believe, a 333 double-notch (shown below)

Derailleur would probably be a Shimano 333 or Lark. 333's are hard to find. There's a couple NOS Larks on Ebay right now, but I can probably put one together... just not as pretty.

Brakes would probably be an Excel set. (Gran Prix / Raceur) I don't think I have a complete set.

Seat... I haven't seen a green one like in the picture. Ebay is your best bet, but I keep an eye on those kinds of things.

Shifter... I don't even know who makes it, but it looks like this.

searsSpyder5.JPG

Cool bike, nice find! That will clean up nicely!

Actually, the derailleur for the 5-Speed would be the Huret Allvit, the shifter on those was Huret made, so the derailleur would be too. There is one on eBay now, A very nice original:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Hur...rray-Huffy-Schwinn-Muscle-Bike-/201764697344?

I have some NOS Green Troxel banana seats like the ones in the ad GD posted, at the bottom left. PM me with your email if you're interested in one and I can send you some pictures.

What a coincidence. I dismantled a Spyder yesterday. Red, missing seat, slightly bent fork. Missing left side crank bearings! I did find a few tiny bits of the cage in the shell. I wonder how long some kid rode it like that. The chain guard has a heavy reinforcement that kinda looks aftermarket. No photos but it is for sale at the local bike coop. $20 for the frame set.

Latest posts

Back